Talk

Advanced search

So I got a Chick Brick for my Christmas and I AM LOVING IT. any recipes?

(105 Posts)
Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:10:04

today i made a kinda ratatouille by flinging some onion quarters, a pepper, some carrot and aubergine, then plonked some chicken pieces rubbed with harissa on top and put it in the oven for an hour and a half. the results were delicious and there was no cooking required whatsoever, just chop and plonk and into a cold oven set for high.

any other recipes? i think i am a convert. grin

slopeyjoe Wed 09-Jan-08 00:11:01

chick brick?

jezzemx Wed 09-Jan-08 00:14:23

Is that one of those moroccan terracotta thingys with a funnel?

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:15:52

no, it's the 70s thing from habitat. let me see if i can illustrate...

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:18:01

it's on this page

sooo funny, but great.

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:18:26

i bet moony has one. wink

moondog Wed 09-Jan-08 00:23:18

Ha ha!
Clicked on this as intrigued.

I'm not a gadget sort actually. Very little equipment in my kitchen (and my best saucepan was found by the side of the road in the Alps)

What is that doing? Sort of sealing in juices eh>

EachPeachPearMum Wed 09-Jan-08 00:25:38

'and my best saucepan was found by the side of the road in the Alps'

...of course! Where else?

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:26:19

you submerge the clay pot in water for 10 mins while you're chopping, then into a cold oven set to 250 and it self-bastes/steams and yet somehow browns and crisps the skin of the chicken as well. and lordy oh lord, the gravy off a good quality chicken done with thyme and lemon. it's like you don't lose a drop of flavour.

pmsl at the fact that you called it a gadget, though, moony. oh yes, it's vairy hi-tech.

moondog Wed 09-Jan-08 00:27:34

My sister found it by her house. She thinks a cook went mental and threw oput all the stuff from a nearby restaurant.

Mind you,this is the woman who once found a double bed in the street when she lived in Toulouse as an impoverished newly wed, and took it home to sleep on,balanced on her head.

moondog Wed 09-Jan-08 00:28:57

Yes,you are right,it's not a gadget 9well to Luddites like me it is) Looks good actually. I like the thoguht of no buring fat flying everywhere.

My number one gadget is my bamboo steamer. I love it.

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:31:50

i have a metal one that doubles as a colander. small kitchen. i think i'm going to make everything in my brick from now on...

EachPeachPearMum Wed 09-Jan-08 00:32:20

Well, my best pan was given to me by a Opera-singing programmer, who was moving back to Sweden to return to being a coding Opera singer grin he didn't want to bother with the weight on the aeroplane...

sallystrawberry Wed 09-Jan-08 00:32:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:33:05

nice. i like your name each peach, it's such a sweet book.

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 00:33:49

<whispers> sal, surely you've heard of The Flat-headed Freak from Toulouse?

moondog Wed 09-Jan-08 00:34:27

God knows. She is bonkers.
A few month later she met a beggar girl and invited her to stay in their garret for a few nights. She and her dh slept on the floor and the beggar had the bed.

MI (food ponce) bought a Le Creuset (or similar) saucepan when backpacking as a student and lugged it around the continent.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 09-Jan-08 00:49:19

MI- mother inferior or mother in law???

moondog Wed 09-Jan-08 00:54:50

Mo Inf.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 09-Jan-08 00:56:29

DH wanted le creuset pans but I refused as they are way too heavy for me to lift when full blush well... even when empty!

I love my casserole though- so nice to have food you just throw in and leave smile

arfishy Wed 09-Jan-08 03:00:06

Oh no. I shouldn't have clicked on the thread. Now I WANT one.

Are they available in Australia? I doubt that VERY much.

[assumes sulky expression]

Aitch Wed 09-Jan-08 12:08:47

i bet you can, arfishy. or have a look for this brand, they seem to be the grandaddy of them all.

arfishy Thu 10-Jan-08 06:09:30

Yay! Aitch romertopf is here. You are a star.

Thank you! How did I ever not know about these? I am going to have so much fun roasting moist, succulent (yet crispy) chickens. grin

Aitch Thu 10-Jan-08 13:16:51

coolio. have you looked at the romertopf recipes? am intrigued by the onion soup.

moodlumthehoodlum Thu 10-Jan-08 13:23:14

Aitch do you have to soak it everytime you use it? I've got one which I've used about twice, and maybe not soaking it everytime was the problem? <dim emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now