Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy fancy bottles to decant cranberry gin?

(31 Posts)
lilolilbethlehem Mon 03-Dec-07 22:37:28

I can make it in the gin bottle but would like some smaller fancy bottles to put some in as presents. Not sure where to buy them tho. Any ideas?

BoysAreLikeReindeer Mon 03-Dec-07 22:44:18

I bought mine from my local independent cookshop, last year I got some from ebay, but couldn't find any this year. Paid about 2 £2.50 for 200 or 250ml bottles

I make sloe gin, am intrigued by Cranberry Gin.

Do you think you could let me have the recipe?

<cheeky mare>

lilolilbethlehem Mon 03-Dec-07 22:52:15

Thanks, I know exactly the kind of cook shop you mean, but the only ones I know about locally have closed down.

have never made this before (would like to hear if anyone has), got it from the Morrison's mag:

100g fresh cranberries
1 orange
100g caster sugar
250ml gin

Prick cranberries all over with a needle (sounds tedious!) Peel 2 long strips of orange peel from the orange. Place the peel and sugar in a large, clean, sterilised jar or bottle - you will need one with an airtight lid - and mix well. Add the gin, but don't fill right to the top to allow for the cranberries to give off some juice (guess that means you have to drink the rest of it!) Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the cranberries. Cover the jar and leave in a cool, dark place for up to 1 month (like it's going to last that long), shaking every few days so that the berries release their colour. This can be drunk after 1 week but the longer it is left the better. Serve as an after-dinner liqueur.

BoysAreLikeReindeer Mon 03-Dec-07 23:18:33

Cor, thanks for that recipe, strangely enough I have a small bottle of gin lurking at the back of my cupboard. grin
If I get my skates on I could make a batch of Cranberry gin ready for christmas. smile
I made 3 litres of sloes gin in September, should be ready for decanting this weekend [hic]

lilolilbethlehem Tue 04-Dec-07 13:15:49

sounds ace, doesn't it? Hope we're not disappointed! Making mine this afternoon....

Bramshott Tue 04-Dec-07 13:18:58

I'm looking for these too! I have two big bottles of Christmas Pudding Vodka as suggested by Good Housekeeping at the bottom of my larder . . .

Can I have recipe for Christmas pudding vodka please?

BoysAreLikeReindeer Wed 05-Dec-07 13:06:07

ooh Christams Pudding Vodka?

Tell me more......

<not a lush I promise>

BoysAreLikeReindeer Wed 05-Dec-07 13:08:57

Christmas

fgs, stupid sausage fingers

<preview preview preview>

Bramshott Wed 05-Dec-07 17:40:53

Sorry to tantalise you all - only just popped back to thread!

1 litre vodka
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
25g each currants, raisins, dried figs(halved if large)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl or jug, then decant into large (they recommend 1.3 litre) sterilised (dishwasher okay) bottle. Seal with cork or screw cap.

Leave for at least 2 weeks in a dark place, shaking occasionally to agitate the ingredients, then use a funnel lined with a coffee filter paper to decant into "pretty sterilised bottles of your choice" (but no info on where to get them!) - add a fresh piece of lemon and orange peel and a fresh cinnamon stick if you like.

I have 2 bottles sat in the bottom of my larder - it smells VERY nice!!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProfYaffle Wed 05-Dec-07 17:46:59

Lakeland do them, I've also seen them in a couple of independent cook shops.

lilolilbethlehem Wed 05-Dec-07 21:38:21

lakeland, of course, why didn't I think of that (tho would still like to find some cheaper ones if anyone has any other ideas) Thanks! Will take a trip out there and will have to give the Christmas Pudding vodka a go too

Bramshott Thu 06-Dec-07 10:10:45

I think the vodka is pretty quick (Good Housekeeping definitely says 2 weeks) - I agree that sloe / damson gin would need longer, but I think with softer fruit (I did blackberry last year) it can be quicker as the juice comes out faster.

Happy making girls!

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 21:36:11

just tried a sneak preview of the cranberry gin. Might have to make some more before Christmas........

Guimauve Mon 05-Oct-09 15:17:02

Bumping this old thread as I have some of Bramshott's Xmas Pud vodka steeping away and it is yummy!

cremolafoam Mon 05-Oct-09 15:30:18

You could use well washed out clear beer bottles and a cork stopper. Then make lables on the computer for fancyness.
You can also get swing top 1litlre bottles at the moment from {\linkhttp://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50108908\IKEA}

cremolafoam Mon 05-Oct-09 15:30:53

IKea

Guimauve Mon 05-Oct-09 15:41:25

I saw the Ikea ones, but they're a bit big. Cheap clip-top jars there though!

mogs0 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:08:33

http://www.waresofknutsford.co.uk/products_level4.htm?cat1=preserving&cat2=Bottles&id=20059 What about these?]]

mogs0 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:09:01

http://www.waresofknutsford.co.uk/products_level4.htm?cat1=preserving&cat2=Bottles&id=20059 these]]

mogs0 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:09:39

Try again !! these

mollyroger Tue 06-Oct-09 12:12:07

lakeland are doing sloe gin bottles and very nice 'fancy' vintage style bottles. also, I have used mart price asda gin and it is cheap and fine for this sort of thing.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:21:34

these are perfick for this year's batch of scrumptiousness ta v much

Xmas pudding vodka - fab

cranberry gin - I had to wait til summer 08 to drink mine as it was a bit 'sharp' for me at Xmas

this year I have made Limoncello

om nom nom and easy peasy too

mogs0 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:25:02

Is there a difference between the lemonade bottles and the swing top bottles? I'm a complete novice so need as much insider info as possible!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now