Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling people who know about organic food!!!

(25 Posts)
Jojay Sun 11-Nov-07 21:28:42

If I was to change 5 staple items of my weekly shop to organic, which ones should I change??

DaisyDont Sun 11-Nov-07 21:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

portonovo Sun 11-Nov-07 21:35:50

Milk and meat definitely. After that there is a list somewhere - I'll have a look see if I can find it - of which fruit and veg are most often found with pesticide residues and/or the ones whose cultivation is most damaging to the environment.

shrooms Sun 11-Nov-07 21:44:28

Apples, grapes, carrots, and grains.

ELR Sun 11-Nov-07 22:09:29

milk, potatoes, carrots, apples, grapes, eggs
meat if you can afford it

Jojay Mon 12-Nov-07 20:47:46

Bump

portonovo Tue 13-Nov-07 10:42:13

There are many sites which discuss issues surrounding organic food and which ones to buy, including if you're on a budget.

Try this one from the Soil Association. It has a link to download a leaflet on buying organic on a budget.

Or there's
this one on buying organic, especially on a budget, while here you'll find a list of which fruit and veg tend to be most contaminated with pesticide residues. This site has lots of interesting articles and news about organic food.

Bramshott Tue 13-Nov-07 10:48:47

This was in the Observer magazine this week. Aparently the best five to go for (in terms of measurable pesticide levels in the foods) are milk, potatoes, peanut butter, ketchup and apples.

sophy Tue 13-Nov-07 17:41:01

I would do:

Bread
Milk
Chicken
Fruit
Vegetables

SauerKraut Tue 13-Nov-07 17:42:25

Apples, grapes, carrots and dried beans are the most frequently cited that I've read.

nannyL Tue 13-Nov-07 19:18:10

Milk
Carrots
Apples
Tomatoes
chicken (unless you already have free range)

if you already normally by free range chicken then the 5th item would be...

yogurt

carrots and tomatoes actually taste different IMO.... in fact i eat almost anything at all, eyt i only eat organic carrots, as other carrots have no taste

Bewilderbeast Tue 13-Nov-07 19:31:13

carrots

marsymum Sat 29-Dec-12 16:50:23

I believe there's actually a list of the "fab 5" and "dirty dozen" when it comes to organic foods - maybe worth a google.

LadyMaryChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 16:54:52

All dairy, all meats, apples (there's more than 5 here if you include the meat/dairy). I think I can get you a free veg box from Abel and Cole if you want to try one? To be clear, they will send me one as well (not too fussed about this though).

HousewifefromBethlehem Sat 29-Dec-12 16:59:19

I'd rather eat a non organic apple from up the road than an organic one from south africa which is where the organic ones in sainsburys come from!

Nice chemical free apples - cancelled out by the carbon footprint of air miles.

LadyMaryChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 17:12:37

You could look for a local box scheme, Bethlehem. They have a tiny footprint as all of the fruit and veg are from local suppliers. smile

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Sat 29-Dec-12 17:14:53

I would do local rather than organic.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 29-Dec-12 17:27:31

The problem with local, is that in winter you'll be living on turnips and swedes with the occasional kale...

LadyMaryChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 17:31:00

Nooo. They send you what's in season. The farmers grow more than turnips and swedes. grin

LadyMaryChristmas Sat 29-Dec-12 17:32:29

Useful!

ethelb Sat 29-Dec-12 17:50:09

I do local and freerange rather than organic.

GrumpySod Sat 29-Dec-12 17:50:11

I go for high fat items, toxics accumulate in fat. So butter, milk, meat, sometimes cheese. We eat a lot of carrots, too and they aren't too much dearer.

ethelb Sat 29-Dec-12 17:53:31

Our local veg box (kent veg) had a giant sqash, red cabbage, greens, beetroot, carrots, onion and potatoes last week. We get their eggs from a small free range chicken farm as they are cheaper than the supermarket

NuclearStandoff Sat 29-Dec-12 22:15:36

What you eat the most of:

Milk
Eggs
Bread
Chicken
Butter

MilkRunningOutAgain Sun 30-Dec-12 17:35:24

I agree about meat and diary. If you have the cash things like peppers and mushrooms. Eggs too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now