Talk

Advanced search

I need to only cook meals that can be eaten next day

(64 Posts)
Leftoversforever Wed 17-Feb-21 09:30:57

And I don't know what to have.

I am having to throw away food I have cooked so I can eat food provided my my mother. She is defrosting the food so I can't re-freeze it. Last night I made risotto and then other food was provided. I don't fancy reheated rice although my mother would eat old rice and not get sick.

I don't want to live on chilli, ragu, curry or casseroles which are the only things I can think of. In these instances I would also have cooked rice, potatoes or pasta and maybe even mashed the potatoes. Most vegetables aren't very appealing reheated. If we have salad it is already dressed and then we are left with a mush in the bottom of the bowl. Carbonara is another example. I haven't got a freezer, just a compartment. I don't have a microwave or steamer for reheating. I only have a hob.

Any ideas for somebody who can't really cook very well.We are on a very low budget and I am against unnecessary food waste regardless of that.

OP’s posts: |
Puzzledtenant Wed 17-Feb-21 09:32:48

Can she not tell you she's intending to give you food and then you just don't cook?

softbrownsofa Wed 17-Feb-21 09:34:39

Can you just not cook anything? That seems like a win in your situation - low budget and can’t cook and your DM is feeding you! grin

LifeInAHamsterWheel Wed 17-Feb-21 09:34:54

I am having to throw away food I have cooked so I can eat food provided my my mother why?? Why do you have to throw out the food you've cooked and eat what your mother brings?!

Freshprincess Wed 17-Feb-21 09:38:17

There’s obviously a huge back story here, as the obvious answer is to say ‘No thanks, I’ve already made myself something’ or chuck your mother’s food away.

LaMarschallin Wed 17-Feb-21 09:42:52

as the obvious answer is to say ‘No thanks, I’ve already made myself something’ or chuck your mother’s food away.

But the OP says she's very against unnecessary food waste (so am I).

OP, is your mother doing this because, as you say, you're on a very low budget and can't cook very well?

If so, I don't understand why she wouldn't tell you she's bringing a meal before you've cooked.

Leftoversforever Wed 17-Feb-21 09:44:25

She insists. I want to try to eat something healthy. Last night it was a 50p fry up pack past its date and we had no accompaniments to go with it so it was just grease and gristle.

LaMarschallin Wed 17-Feb-21 09:45:48

Last night it was a 50p fry up pack past its date and we had no accompaniments to go with it so it was just grease and gristle.

Ah.

I'd have binned that - I wouldn't see it as unnecessary food waste.

bonfireheart Wed 17-Feb-21 09:46:32

Do u live with her?

LaMarschallin Wed 17-Feb-21 09:47:33

Somehow feel this thread isn't going to turn out to be about healthy cook-ahead meals at all.

Leftoversforever Wed 17-Feb-21 09:47:34

Its once we are sitting at the table with the food already on the plates.

I can cook edible, palatable food. I don't know if you can call it cooking because it is the sort of thing anyone can cook.

Leftoversforever Wed 17-Feb-21 09:48:44

I'm going to roll with it.

softbrownsofa Wed 17-Feb-21 09:49:31

If you’re sitting at the table with your dinner on your plate there’s no way I’d then throw the dinner away because my mum turned up with a crappy alternative! Stand your ground OP smile

softbrownsofa Wed 17-Feb-21 09:51:06

I hate food waste as much as the next person but definitely wouldn’t let that force me into eating food I didn’t want. Your risotto sounds far nicer than the alternative grin

TheVolturi Wed 17-Feb-21 09:51:52

Just say no!

KihoBebiluPute Wed 17-Feb-21 09:53:24

So unless she has some kind of dementia issue surely she can still give you 24 hours notice if she's intending to give you something so that you can (a) not cook anything yourself and (b) make sure you have appropriate accompaniments in. If she refuses to do that then the food waste is on her, she is being nasty and controlling not kind and helpful if she won't take such steps to help you plan your meals.

You mention having already dressed the salad and cooked the accompaniments- is she literally turning up at dinner time when food is already about to be served, carrying something that has to be cooked and eaten right this moment or be thrown away? That isn't reasonable behaviour.

PinkyParrot Wed 17-Feb-21 09:53:28

Toughen up - don't eat something which is actually bad for your health (out of date fry up) over something healthy - your body deserves better than that.

SuperbGorgonzola Wed 17-Feb-21 09:54:34

Sorry, i'm finding it hard to understand the scenario and where your mum fits into the situation. Do you live with her or is she turning up at your door with food?

In answer to your direct question, you can make tomato based pasta sauces ahead of time, then cook the pasta fresh.

BringMeThatHorizon Wed 17-Feb-21 09:55:11

I'm confused. Why would you throw away risotto you've spent time cooking and eat something you didn't like or want in its place? Just say sorry I've already cooked dinner, thanks though. Tell her that you need to know in advance if she's going to give you food or it's going to go to waste.

user1654236589623652 Wed 17-Feb-21 09:55:23

I'm confused.

00100001 Wed 17-Feb-21 09:55:28

LaMarschallin

*as the obvious answer is to say ‘No thanks, I’ve already made myself something’ or chuck your mother’s food away.*

But the OP says she's very against unnecessary food waste (so am I).

OP, is your mother doing this because, as you say, you're on a very low budget and can't cook very well?

If so, I don't understand why she wouldn't tell you she's bringing a meal before you've cooked.

But she chooses to throw her own food away, in favour of eating her mother's?

ineedaholidaynow Wed 17-Feb-21 09:55:40

Why is she providing food?

00100001 Wed 17-Feb-21 09:58:12

So. You live with Mum.

You make some dinner (at say) 7pm, sit down at 7:15 to eat your dinner.
Then your Mum says "oh I've cooked a stir fry"
And then...you throw your plate of food away and then eat your mum's stir fry?

Why can't I you just say "no thanks,I've got my dinner here" confused

SuperbGorgonzola Wed 17-Feb-21 09:59:12

I think the question shouldn't be about the food storage/waste but about communication really.

A meal plan, (even if not for a full week if that's not possible) might be a good idea.

00100001 Wed 17-Feb-21 09:59:19

And how are you both in the kitchen cooking separate dinners,and your mum still cooks for you?

What does she think you are doing ??

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in