Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got an air fryer?

(14 Posts)
ThatIsNotMyUsername Wed 10-Feb-21 16:13:20

New toy... makes reasonable chips and Ive made chicken escalope so far. What am I missing (it’s just roasting isn’t it - and I don’t use much/any oil when o roads anyway!

OP’s posts: |
Lunaballoon Wed 10-Feb-21 18:10:58

How do the reasonable chips compare with oven cooked? I’m interested in getting one too but I don’t want to to end up with another gadget gathering dust.
Someone on another thread said they make great baked potatoes.

laPufalina Wed 10-Feb-21 18:16:17

It's life changing. You can pop bacon in and go and have a shower and come back down and it's done and unsupervised! Also fishfingers and sausages work well in it, and halloumi. Mainly use ours for tenderstem broccoli!

Countdowntonothing Wed 10-Feb-21 18:17:37

Roasted veg to mix in with couscous/bulga wheat/quinoa is lovely in the air fryer. Sausages, chops, potatoes with skin on and herbs....anything you do (without sauce) in the oven!

ThatIsNotMyUsername Wed 10-Feb-21 18:22:12

They (well wedges) are crispier on the outside and fluffier on the inside - probably because you only need a teensy bit of oil and in the oven you do need more oil. I also made chips - which you can’t really do on the oven - and ds said they were nice (I didn’t have any). I really got it for him so that he could make some things easily for himself. With the potatoes you have to boil them first, so there’s still the same prep to do!

I’m not quite sure if it’s much better (or even different) than the oven - the only good thing is that when making the chicken, the timer is pretty good (turn over half way) so you just pop it in and whip up a salad. Plus you don’t have to switch on the oven for a single portion.

I got a baby one as we don’t have a lot of room and it’s fine for one portion. Oh and I reheated a chicken escalope in there and it came out still moist, so that was good.

I’m just not quite ‘sold’ on it - unless someone can tell me something that can only be done well in one. Apparently you can do bacon in it.

ThatIsNotMyUsername Wed 10-Feb-21 18:23:23

Crossed posts - but @laPufalina - halloumi? Tell me more 😋

ThatIsNotMyUsername Wed 10-Feb-21 19:15:32

I’ve made haloumi! It’s mmmmmmm. I usually griddle it’s and that’s good too. Now doing some tofu for my noodles then will do DS’s steak...

Fuckityfucksake Sun 14-Feb-21 15:58:28

Finish microwave jacket pots off in it. They come out like they've been in the oven for hours.
I have a big one and bought accessories...sponge cakes are amazing in the air fryer.
My sister tells me frozen yorkie puds are better done in it.
Dh likes sausages, bacon and steak done in it.
I've not tried the veggies for my cous cous in it, I normally roast them but I'm going to try that.

Ferrylights Sun 14-Feb-21 16:00:55

I've got a Ninja Foodi thst air fries, pressure cooks, slow cooks, bakes, etc... it"s epic and a fantastic bit of kitchen kit

buckeejit Sun 14-Feb-21 22:14:55

You are missing granola! Great for making granola.

I must try roasting veg in it tomorrow.

ThatIsNotMyUsername Sun 14-Feb-21 22:18:09

How does it not all drop through the holes?

Imtoooldforallthis Mon 15-Feb-21 09:28:03

I recently bought one, main advantage is that it heats up far quicker than oven, and presumably less energy. I've cooked the usual bacon, chips nuggets, kievs. Also done part baked bread, baked camembert, mini Roasting joints, sausages.

GreenWasabi Sun 21-Feb-21 22:43:14

I couldn't be without mine, Chuck any old cheap cherry tomatoes in, dash of oil, salt and balsamic - they are so sweet and such intense flavours they are great to eat in their own or added to passata and it's another level.
Courgettes done until golden are great. Cubed sweet potato goes wonderfully caramelised and can be sprinkled over salad ... I use mine daily, sometimes for chips too - leave for a longer time for best crispy chips.

ThatIsNotMyUsername Tue 23-Feb-21 11:22:55

Fish comes out nice, steak, chicken drumsticks, roast veg, homemade fish fingers, chicken escalope... I'm quite enjoying being able to throw food in and let it run whilst I make a salad.

I think the benefit is that you don't need to use the whole oven to cook just one item and it does keep the food moist (probably because its a small space).

So yes, I'm now a convert! This is one gadget that will be used (unlike the rice maker, slow cooker, magimix...)

I'm only peeved that there isn't a air fryer convertor gizmo that fits on my InstantPot (there is one for the larger versions but mine is too small). I also love my InstantPot.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in