Talk

Advanced search

Easy quick family recipes for fussy eaters

(5 Posts)
carrotcake124 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:37:27

I have 2 fussy eaters who will moan and pick at any sauce with a hint of chopped up veg in it For example a pasta sauce or curry sauce with chopped tomatoes or onions yet they will eat pasta and curry with a jar sauce

They also love what I call bland dinners

Chicken veg and rice as long as it's all separate
Roast dinners
Pork chops / beef steak with rice / potatoes and veg again with no sauce
Wraps with just chicken , cheese and some salad veg
Weekends I may do a burger as a treat
Tuna or pesto pasta

I am so bored of cooking and trying to juggle home working plus kids at home I want some easy but new meals

Any suggestions??
Or nice pasta bake recipes?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 22-Jan-21 17:20:46

It’s difficult isn’t it!
When you say they pick at sauces with veg in, will they actually eat the main part of the meal, e.g eat the chicken, leave the sauce with veg in? Or is the whole dinner written off?
Because if it’s the former, I’d say, for your own benefit pick your battles. For example if I make a chilli, I know one will pick the kidney beans out, but I’m ok with that as long as the rest gets eaten.
With your meat and two veg type meals, can you not just let them have theirs plain but add a sauce to yours after? Same with chicken and wraps, that’s basically fajitas, either serve with veg and allow them to pick the chicken out themselves and put in their wraps or do veg and chicken separate. If sauces are difficult can you look at other was of flavouring dishes, marinating meat before cooked or using spice/flavour rubs.
This might sound silly but do you do skewers? For some reason things threaded on a stick are accepted more often that those on the plate.
Pasta bake wise, if they will eat tuna pasta, tuna pasta bake should work. If tomato sauces with veg in get rejected maybe try white sauce or cheese sauces, or a thick chicken gravy (not sure if that’s what I mean, coating chicken in seasoned flour and using chicken stock!). We do a nice chicken bacon and broccoli one.
Are there any safe/favourite veg? Here mushrooms always get rejected so combining them with favoured ingredients makes no difference, but I’ve got more of a chance with broccoli, sweetcorn, peas etc which they do actually like. We make a nice pasta bake with chicken, bacon and broccoli, topped with cheese and breadcrumbs.
Thinks coated in breadcrumbs tend to be slightly better received so I’ve had success with homemade kiev’s, fishcakes and weirdly falafel.

fruitpastille Fri 22-Jan-21 17:26:02

Lamb koftas with pitta/couscous and separate salad/tzatziki/houmous to be added individually.

Fivemoreminutes1 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:29:17

Macaroni cheese www.myfussyeater.com/one-pot-mac-cheese-with-hidden-veg/ I add pancetta or leftover ham occasionally and serve with a green salad for those who want it.
Toad in the hole
Meatballs realfood.tesco.com/recipes/sunitas-secret-veg-meatballs.html You can leave the sauce off for the dc - they still get veg cos it’s hidden actually inside the meatballs.
Savoury pancakes
Cheese pudding www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/savoury-cheese-pudding/
Cauliflower cheese fish pie themindfulnesskitchen.co.uk/cauliflower-cheese-fish-pie - if you really blitz the cauliflower, it can’t be seen!
Egg fried rice
Cheese bread and butter pud recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/leftovers/cheese-and-tomato-bread-and-butter-pudding - omit the cherry tomatoes but use tomato and onion purée in place of the chutney.

Yellowcar2 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:30:35

Could you just remove the chicken etc and then blend your sauce with a stick blender then pop the chicken back in?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in