Talk

Advanced search

The Cushman's 'Secret Scotch' cookies (aka Murder Cookies)

(5 Posts)
ScrambledSmegs Mon 18-Jan-21 12:22:19

I'm late to the party, I know. There was a craze for these last year when someone posted the recipes on the r/Old_Recipes sub. .Has anyone successfully made them using UK ingredients/measurements? I'm not very good at using reddit and couldn't find anything.

Any tips/help gratefully received.

OP’s posts: |
ScrambledSmegs Mon 18-Jan-21 12:24:03

Aaaaaand something went wrong with starting this thread, evidently! It's been a couple of hours since I clicked on 'create conversation' and I've made the dough for the cookies grin.

I happened to have some Trex in the fridge and thought I'd have a go. Subbed treacle for molasses but everything else is the same. The dough is currently in the fridge because I don't like cookies spreading too much, will bake a bit later (Bake, but do not overbake confused ) and hope for the best. It does smell absolutely amazing but we shall see.

ScrambledSmegs Mon 18-Jan-21 14:16:50

Best. Cookies. Ever.

That is all.

Tigger83 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:17:38

What's the recipe? I love a good cookie!

ScrambledSmegs Mon 18-Jan-21 14:40:44

The original recipe is here.

I've also subsequently discovered a more thorough, metric recipe that someone has created. I basically did this too so clearly there's a cookie format!

I did the pressing down with a glass trick with a quarter of the dough, left the other quarter of the dough in ball form and I think I prefer the finished result with the first batch. The other half of the dough I've formed and frozen for later. It makes a lot!

They taste like gingerbread, but in a cookie. They're pretty much the perfect apex of crispy/chewy/melting. The rest of the family loved them too, it's a winner.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in