Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to haggis that can be served alongside

(16 Posts)
RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 16-Jan-21 19:19:21

We've been doing themed meals one night a week to ring the changes during lockdown. Planning on doing a Burns supper with haggis, neeps & tatties. I love haggis (more so as part of a cooked breakfast after having it in a hotel in Scotland !) DH isn't they fussed about it and the other two have never had it. So I want to serve an alternative but one that would taste ok with it.

I was thinking roast beef? Any more suitable alternatives?

OP’s posts: |
FenEel Sat 16-Jan-21 19:22:38

We usually do sausages for the kids and haggis for us. Veggie haggis can be a gateway into haggis, it was for me!

FenEel Sat 16-Jan-21 19:23:36

We also always have this for dessert www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranachan

KihoBebiluPute Sat 16-Jan-21 19:25:47

We do sausages for the kids. I wouldn't do beef, that would detract from the haggis.

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 16-Jan-21 19:26:44

Ooh yes love cranachan. Sausages a good suggestion, thanks

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 16-Jan-21 19:29:45

KihoBebiluPute

We do sausages for the kids. I wouldn't do beef, that would detract from the haggis.

Yes see what you mean. Just wondered if sausages were a bit too similar in texture if people wanted both. Our 'children' are adults but I know haggis is an acquired taste. If one I acquired the first time I tasted it!

AlwaysLatte Sat 16-Jan-21 19:30:56

We do Burns night as well and have sausages for the kids as they don't like the haggis. And Orkney clap shot and whisky cream sauce and buttered leeks. My husband likes to do a whisky tasting too when my grown up stepsons and girlfriends are here, but sadly I doubt we'll be able to this year.

SuperSange Sat 16-Jan-21 19:31:46

We've just had haggis, black pudding, bacon and beans for dinner. Mmmm

AdaColeman Sat 16-Jan-21 19:35:59

I'd do roast chicken with the haggis, then offer either one or the other or a little of both. This would be a very similar flavour combination to Balmoral Chicken, which is chicken stuffed with haggis, a long time favourite of the Queen Mother, and often served at royal dinners.
It would go well with the traditional vegetables & gravy associated with haggis too.

I agree cranachan is the only pudding to have for Burns Night!

BobbinAround Sat 16-Jan-21 19:41:27

I'd do a steak pie as the alternative option. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

KihoBebiluPute Sat 16-Jan-21 21:39:45

We normally do deep fried (celebrations size) mars bars for pudding. Trying to be a bit healthier this year & losing weight so may skip that this time!

cdtaylornats Sat 16-Jan-21 22:21:07

I had Edinburgh Fog at a Burns Night in the capital once

www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_fog.htm

RockingMyFiftiesNot Thu 21-Jan-21 22:29:40

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've another question. DH thinks everything should have a sauce/jus/gravy whilst I will happily eat something like this dry. A gravy flavoured with whisky would seem ideal but 3 of us cannot stand the taste if whisky. What kind of sauce would you serve with haggis, neeps, tatties etc. ?

OhioOhioOhio Thu 21-Jan-21 23:01:18

Salad a mustard grain mayonnaise

KihoBebiluPute Thu 21-Jan-21 23:04:08

The taste of haggis goes beautifully with blue cheese - make a white sauce and melt in half a block of stilton.

Or other cheesy sauce if you don't like stilton

RockingMyFiftiesNot Mon 25-Jan-21 09:58:13

Hadn't thought about a cheese sauce - blue cheese sounds perfect - or mustard mayo. Thank you both

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in