Talk

Advanced search

Excess potatoes

(3 Posts)
Hazelnutlatteplease Tue 12-Jan-21 22:23:27

I have an excess of potatoes. Before I face outright rebellion from DC at the absence of rice and pasta, I figure I'd best freeze some.

The question is how am I best to do it.

All the recipes seem to suggest you have to add cream or some other fat to mash potato to freeze it. That doesn't work for me (low cal diet) so I usually just mash it with a very small amount of milk or without adding anything. Would freezing still work?

Alternatively am happy to parboil and freeze for roasties, but generally prefer finishing these in the airfryer as my oven is properly rubbish. Will frozen pre-prepped roasties work in the air fryer?

OP’s posts: |
maxelly Wed 13-Jan-21 10:22:30

I find with frozen mash the texture can go a bit weird unless the mash is quite creamy (can go a bit crumbly/grainy), but it's still perfectly edible so if that's the way you are more likely to use it then go for it. You can always drown it in extra gravy to hide any weirdness! Or alternatively I usually freeze my leftover potatos in blanched chunks (not fully boiled through, I give them 5-7 mins in boiling water) these can then have multiple uses, they can go into the oven to become wedges or roasts, or they can go back into a pan of boiling water to finish cooking and then be mashed, or they can go into a pan of veg soup to thicken it up, I've no idea if this is a proper chef's recommended way of doing it but it seems to work fine for me...

I would have thought your air frier would be fine to finish the roasts, if it works from raw it should work from frozen if given extra time is my mantra!

Hazelnutlatteplease Wed 13-Jan-21 17:51:29

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that, makes sense. Potatoes per boiled and bagged!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in