Talk

Advanced search

How do you cook your pork?

(8 Posts)
Tilpop Thu 07-Jan-21 09:05:13

I'm not a massive pork fan, however I would like to do it for Sunday lunch with crackling for a change.

How do you cook yours please?

OP’s posts: |
doodlejump1980 Thu 07-Jan-21 09:08:22

www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/recipes/pancetta-wrapped-pork-with-chorizo-stuffing

I love this recipe! The stuffing is enough for two fillets so freeze 1/2 for another time. It’s really yummy.

rosydreams Thu 07-Jan-21 09:15:06

depends i love a roast but i also love pan friend pork chops,ho e made sweet and sour or meatballs

EBearhug Thu 07-Jan-21 09:16:29

Most supermarkets sell roasting joints with crackling these days, so that's the starting point. You can do preparation such as scoring the skin, rubbing salt in, and after a while, patting dry with paper towel - the salt should draw some moisture out.

You need to roasting on a hot oven to get it to crackle. I sometimes finish the crackling off alone in a separate dish in the oven, after I've taken out the rest of the joint, because sometimes it doesn't do so well, but you don't want the meat to become dry and charred.

schmockdown Thu 07-Jan-21 09:20:43

Depends what you want - belly / loin / leg etc.

I love a rolled stuffed pork belly joint.

Whatever you go for you need it to be decent quality and dried out to get crackling. Remove any plastic wrap while storing in the fridge.

KarlKennedysDurianFruit Thu 07-Jan-21 09:25:04

Fillet, I make a cheat apple butter, system butter add sage black pepper and a dollop of Bramley apple sauce mix together, overlap slices of prosciutto on baking paper spread the butter liberally on the prosciutto then wrap the pork fillet in it, sear in a hot pan then put in the oven for no more than 15 minutes then rest. Have as part of a roast or with new potatoes, broccoli, asparagus or even salad. The crunchy prosciutto makes up for no crackling.
Or pork shoulder , dice it , flour it, brown it, add Carrits and leeks, sage, thyme and garlic, soften then add 500ml good cider, some stock and put the whole lot in the oven for an hour, serve with green veg, jackets/new potatoes or just crusty bread. I do other things with pork but less traditional

Baconking Thu 07-Jan-21 17:12:38

Removed from fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
I score the fat and rub salt and oil on to it then cook according to this calculator
www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/roast-calculator

Works out perfectly

Beecham Fri 08-Jan-21 00:01:51

I do slow cooked pulled pork with crackling, which does us for two main meals.

Buy a large 2-3kg boned and rolled pork shoulder
Dry the skin with kitchen roll and score it
Rub in lots of salt
Very high heat for 30 mins until skin looks fairly well crackled
Turn down to really low heat
Cover with foil and cook for 4-5 hrs
Remove foil, drain fat/juices for gravy
Give it a final hot blast for 20-30 mins to finish off the crackling.

It comes out perfectly with meat that falls apart, the fat melted away, and really crunchy crackling.

Meal 1 is the plain pork with crackling, gravy, apple sauce, red cabbage etc.

Meal 2 is BBQ pulled pork, wraps, homemade coleslaw and salad (made by reheating leftover pork with a bottle of posh BBQ sauce, then pull apart with forks)

There's usually enough for a third day of sandwiches too.

You could freeze the leftover meat after meal 1 so you're not having pork three days running.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in