Talk

Advanced search

Lancashire hot pot recipe recommendations please!

(3 Posts)
purrswhileheeats Mon 28-Dec-20 11:19:51

I'm spending NYE at my Scottish friend's house; I'm English but we met when I lived in Scotland so I identify as Scottish fwink (we now live abroad) I've offered to cook as she's useless and want to make a fine Scottish dish but haggis is non-existent here and the stovies recipes have just confused me!

We've compromised on Lancashire hot pot (renamed it Lanarkshire hot pot for Hogmanay fgrin) but never made it before - does anyone have a tried and tested recipe please?

OP’s posts: |
Fivemoreminutes1 Mon 28-Dec-20 14:11:23

Fry 500g lamb (not too lean - neck is best, but shoulder works well too, cut into bite-size chunks) until lightly browned all over. Spoon the lamb into a bowl, then add 2 chopped onions to the pan and cook for 3-4 mins until soft.
Add the lamb back in, then stir in a tbsp flour, cooking for a minute. Add in 500ml stock, 2 bay leaves, a pinch of salt, pepper and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. Give everything a stir, bring to a gentle bubble. Then place a lid on it and cook in the oven for 30 min.
Then stir in 3 chopped carrots. Top with sliced potatoes (I use about 700g Marks Pipers sliced to 2-3mm thick). Start from the outside, and layer the potatoes, moving towards the centre.
Brush the potatoes with melted butter and sprinkle on dried thyme. Cover with a lid or foil and place back in the oven for 1 hour. After an hour, turn the oven up to 200c and remove lid. Cook for 30 minutes until the potatoes are browned and crisp on top.

purrswhileheeats Mon 28-Dec-20 14:29:31

Thank you, that's just what I needed! Hogmanay Lanarkshire hot pot fsmile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in