Talk

Advanced search

Best way to cook a gammon

(24 Posts)
Happyinheels Tue 22-Dec-20 09:37:59

What is the best way to cook a gammon?

Normally I would do it in the slow cooker for a day but it doesn't hold together to slice which is fine for family tea. Thinking I need to change it up for Christmas and maybe glaze it and cook it differently or something? But I'm not sure really!
Feeling a bit overwhelmed as I've also got a joint of beef and a turkey crown to do so I wasn't sure if I should do the gammon the day before.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you 😊

OP’s posts: |
Glitterandunicorns Tue 22-Dec-20 09:39:20

I've always done Nigella's gammon in coke and it's always been great! I'd cook it the day before.

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman Tue 22-Dec-20 09:43:00

Good Housekeeping recipe, boiled with an onion and some bay leaves, and then cooked in a honey, mustard and orange glaze with cloves. It tastes amazing.

ArseInTheCoOpWindow Tue 22-Dec-20 09:43:51

I miss read this! I thought you meant a gammon as in a red faced middle aged man!!😁

treeeeemendous Tue 22-Dec-20 09:44:23

Nigellas ham in coke here too.

I usually do it over two days though. The first part the night before and then I let it cool and put the glaze on and pop it in the fridge do that it's ready just to go in the oven when I need it.

helloxhristmas Tue 22-Dec-20 09:45:42

I would do it the day before, I like it boiled and finished in the oven with a marmalade glaze.

CorianderQueen Tue 22-Dec-20 09:47:04

Treacle ones are nice if you don't want to do coke.

There's a recipe here not far from what I use: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/youve-been-cooking-christmas-ham-23177719.amp

Callmecordelia Tue 22-Dec-20 09:48:29

Do you have an instant pot? It's great in there. I do mine in apple juice with an onion, bay leaf and some peppercorns, plus some carrots or leeks if I've got them.

I also used to do it in the slow cooker in ginger ale. That was lovely.

Honestly though, from your post I'd just do it in the slow cooker. It might not slice, but it will taste lovely, and it will just get on and quietly do its own thing, if necessary away from the kitchen and prep space. Less stress when you have so much to cook.

Happyinheels Tue 22-Dec-20 09:49:49

Fab - thanks for the replies!

So if I cook it in the slow cooker on Christmas Eve then I could finish it off by baking it in the oven? Have I understood that right?

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 22-Dec-20 09:49:54

I do the Good Housekeeping one as well. Classic, foolproof and delicious!

Imtoooldforallthis Tue 22-Dec-20 09:50:46

How long do you cook for in instant pot?

FestiveFruitloop Tue 22-Dec-20 10:07:25

Another vote for Nigella's gammon in Coke here, always comes out lovely.

Callmecordelia Tue 22-Dec-20 10:19:50

@Imtoooldforallthis this is a good link that explains it all - www.feistytapas.com/2016/09/how-to-pressure-cook-gammon-jointham-in/

champagnetruffleshuffle Tue 22-Dec-20 10:24:55

I cook ours in the slow cooker, for about 6/7 hours (1.25kg) and it holds together fine. Perhaps you're cooking it too long? No reason why you couldn't glaze and oven it after slow cooking.

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Tue 22-Dec-20 11:18:26

I use a Hairy Bikers recipe I think. Simmer it for an hour, take the skin off, score the fat, stud it with cloves, honey mustard glaze, then in the oven for about 30mins to finish off. We have it Christmas Eve night and then cold for breakfast with pork pie on Christmas morning. Yum!

242Mummy Tue 22-Dec-20 15:54:46

Coca cola ham for us too. It's a favourite here and I can barely hold the boys back when it's cooked on Christmas Eve.

treeeeemendous Tue 22-Dec-20 23:22:20

Cooking it in the slow cooker will give it a difference consistency more like pulled pork. If you want to slice it, I would do it on the hob.

Either way you can finish it off in the oven.

TheStirrer Wed 23-Dec-20 18:44:34

Help - I have bought a smoked ham rather than unsmoked - will the nigella gam in coke still work ok?

dontforgetbilly Wed 23-Dec-20 18:48:16

I used smoked for cola gammon, is very tasty

Georgyporky Wed 23-Dec-20 19:06:53

Gammon in coke is vile - the worst thing I've ever cooked.
I think NL must have had coke up her nose when she invented this.

TheStirrer Wed 23-Dec-20 21:39:45

Thanks @dontforgetbilly!!!
Relieved it is ok with smoked ham as not going shopping again now.

EvilPea Wed 23-Dec-20 21:45:07

I couldn’t get past the smell of the ham in the coke boiling.

I’m doing mine tomorrow in cider in the slow cooker and then finishing with a maple syrup and marmalade glaze. We will be having it with cheese fondue and breads.

Standrewsschool Wed 23-Dec-20 21:56:11

I leave it in water overnight. Then re-fresh the water and boil for an hour or so. Then roast for an hour.

My recipe came from a Sainsbury magazine in a ‘How to Feed your family for £50’ article.

Happyinheels Sun 27-Dec-20 22:17:50

Thanks for the advice everyone - I did it in the slow cooker for 6 hours then glazed it with honey and studded it with cloves and finished it in the oven. It was delicious!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in