Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone tried Nigella’s fish finger bhorta?

(26 Posts)
Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:04:41

I think I’m going to but I always like to check the recipe reviews grin

Have any of you brave souls tested it yet?!

How many stars (out of five, say) and any tweaks or advice?

OP’s posts: |
Gingerkittykat Fri 13-Nov-20 18:10:55

I've just googled it and can't say it looks great, mind you there are some good quality fish fingers out there so it could work out well.

BoulangerieBabs Fri 13-Nov-20 18:11:44

Checking in for reviews too, it looked really good though.

Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:16:05

I was thinking the same as I watched the programme but N warned viewers off the chunky/good quality ff on the grounds you’d end up with ‘too much fish’ in the dish.

I know! grin

Gotta love her stubborn random streak. I can’t be doing with her when she turns the suggestiveness up to 11 but admire her devotion to fish fingers and marmite and full-fat everything. More power to her!

notthe1Parrot Fri 13-Nov-20 18:18:00

We (2 adults) had it the night following the programme. Didn’t have the coriander so used flat parsley. Had to use wholegrain mustard. Used a box of 10 fish fingers. We thought it was absolutely delicious (was dubious right till the end!)

Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:35:23

Ooh thank you notthe1Parrot!

I might have to make it for lunch tomorrow.

Looks quite quick to make?

OliveHenry Fri 13-Nov-20 18:38:56

Please report back 'cos I'm tempted too!

RishiMcRichface Fri 13-Nov-20 18:39:07

Following to see if it's minging and Nigella is just having a laugh, I also want to know about the banana skin curry.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 13-Nov-20 18:42:41

Link here!

I'm going to make it. That would go really well stuffed in a naan. Not making banana skin curry though, bloody hell.

notthe1Parrot Fri 13-Nov-20 18:46:50

Took about 25 minutes. Gave the fishfingers an extra five minutes in the oven to make the crumb really crisp.

Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:55:21

Thanks notthe1Parrot.

I don’t like bananas and don’t intend to either
1. Buy them and throw away the fruit to use the skin
2. Stalk banana eaters, retrieving tossed skins from bins.
There are limits.

Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:57:39

Yes to stuffing it in a nan; best of both curry and ff sarnie!

Why didn’t Nigella think of that?!

Shortysoso Fri 13-Nov-20 18:58:23

Naan! Don’t stuff it in your nan, or at least not without permission grin

JesusInTheCabbageVan Fri 13-Nov-20 19:01:07

Tbh it would depend on which end of my nan I stuffed it in grin Could go very well or very badly.

Flamingolingo Fri 13-Nov-20 19:03:17

I watched it in equal measures of horror and curiosity. It looks terrible and amazing all at once!

MirandaMarple Fri 13-Nov-20 19:40:59

When you break it down it's simply a delicious Asian salad with crispy fish, what's not good about cod in breadcrumbs? Seriously thinking of trying it with crispy chicken too...

megletthesecond Sat 14-Nov-20 11:37:25

I've literally just printed it off. It looks gorgeous and gluten free. Fairly healthy too.
Will make it later next week and report back.

BoulangerieBabs Sat 14-Nov-20 12:50:54

Ingredients that we didn't have already purchased ready to make it this evening. I will report back grin

CorvusPurpureus Sat 14-Nov-20 16:07:22

Looks bloody gorgeous tbh. Although I live in Egypt & fishfingers are sadly unobtainable, so the mere mention of them makes me dribble like Pavlov's dog.

(See also Heinz beans & The Upper Crust brie'n'bacon baguette).

Shortysoso Sat 14-Nov-20 16:35:58

Did it.

It was ok.

I dialled down the chilli and mustard for kids. DH and DD1 loved it, DD2 and I were a bit ‘meh’ BUT I was late and rushing so fish not crisp enough and think it needs the heat. The onions were great with it, as was the coriander so my advice would be to not skimp on those.

Not as exciting as I’d hoped but probably my error rather than fault of recipe.

More cooking than a ff sarnie but very little effort really, just need time to leave the onions to cook down.

Shortysoso Sat 14-Nov-20 16:37:23

Oh and Jesus (if I can call you that), everyone loved the naan grin

megletthesecond Fri 20-Nov-20 19:48:59

I was too cautious with the spice and heat. The fishfingers and spinach really tone it down. It does work though.
Next time, more onion and chilli.

REignbow Sun 22-Nov-20 00:42:17

I think I’ll make this for DH and l.....and make a more toned down version for the kids!

praepondero Tue 24-Nov-20 13:14:39

I will be making it soonish; the flavours are so up my street! Thinking of using parathas instead naan bread as love those.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Nov-20 13:44:45

Not sure I was watching the same program, we turned over as the first two recipes looked so awful. Glad you liked it though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in