Talk

Advanced search

Toad in the hole recipes

(17 Posts)
AvoidingRealHumans Tue 27-Oct-20 09:26:04

Has anyone got a tried and tested toad in the hole recipe or any tips for success?
I don't think I've ever made this, not recently anyway.
I can make yorkshire puddings so I have some hope I can do this.
Recipes online look ok but wondered if there was a knack to it also.
Thanks 😊

OP’s posts: |
Mumsnut Tue 27-Oct-20 10:10:57

If you don’t mind me piggy-backing, OP, I’d love to know if anyone has had success at this with gluten free flour...

sporkle Tue 27-Oct-20 10:12:59

I follow the BBC good food 'Sams toad in the hole', perfect every time but not sure about gluten free...

MonaChopsis Tue 27-Oct-20 10:18:59

I also use 'Sam's Toad in the hole'. Also works when used with roasted veggies to make a veggie version.

HollyHocks13 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:19:35

I use this recipe, it never fails and I have made it a lot! One of our family's favourite meals.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/221/toad-in-the-hole.aspx

MonaChopsis Tue 27-Oct-20 10:24:16

As for tips... Metal roasting dish, hot, with hot oil in it. Heat it on the hob as you're adding the batter if you can't keep it hot enough and you want the middle light and airy.

However, much to my surprise my kids often like the stodgier centre so I don't bother with hob heating!!

sm40 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:25:04

I use the all recipes one too. No complaints so far!

AvoidingRealHumans Tue 27-Oct-20 12:32:32

Oooh thanks everyone, I will have to report back with how it went.

OP’s posts: |
Tipster100 Tue 27-Oct-20 21:40:42

mumsnut i do gluten free toad in the hole all the time. From memory I think it's 100g gram flour, 2 eggs and 240ml of milk but I'll double check in the morning and update if incorrect. I also use that recipe to do Yorkshire's.

Mumsnut Wed 28-Oct-20 07:11:27

Ooh, please do Tipster. I can report that Sam’s recipe was a bit ‘cakey’ when made with Dove’s g/free plain flour

Tipster100 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:05:50

Yes that's definitely the recipe. Obviously do all the normal things of very high oven, very hot fat etc. Has to be gram flour not doves. This is the best we've found to get close to a good batter.

Yesyoudoknowme Wed 28-Oct-20 08:11:47

Apparently, when growing up, the toad in the hole that my DH had was always pork chops in batter - not sausages shock (Mind you he grew up in Surrey so was posh, met me and it all went downhill) grin.

Trufflepuffpuff Wed 28-Oct-20 08:14:26

I use Jamie Oliver's and it usually works https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/toad-in-the-hole/

A few others I've tried have come out a bit flat but this works for me. The trick is not to open the oven for the allotted time and make sure your fat is smoking hot. Also - don't be tempted the layer the batter on too thickly or put too much oil in the tin.

PhantomErik Wed 28-Oct-20 08:19:45

This was my vegetarian toad in the hole a few days ago (I photographed it to show my dm as when I made it for her it all went wrong & didn't rise!)

My recipe is 3 heaped tablespoons of plain flour, 4 medium eggs, good pinch of salt & enough water to make it runny.

Hot pan with hot vegetable oil. Pour in batter & drop pre-cooked sausages on top. Our current favourite sausages are Meat Free Richmond ones.

This is a very popular meal in my house smile

PhantomErik Wed 28-Oct-20 08:21:55

I do individual ones as I think they come out better & are easier to dish up.

Tipster100 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:44:59

Yes I should probably say i also do individual ones mumsnut mostly because it's easier to dish up. Haven't done a big dish so not sure if it works as well.

Chewbecca Thu 29-Oct-20 11:10:51

I use this one b Galton Blakiston on the bbc site. It’s very good.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in