(9 Posts)
cittigirl Tue 13-Oct-20 10:10:12

That your family love.....
Please.
I need some inspiration.
Tia

OP’s posts: |
Fivemoreminutes1 Tue 13-Oct-20 18:22:10

I like meals which require very little prep and I can just chuck in everything, set the slow cooker and leave it!
Sausage stew www.asdagoodliving.co.uk/food/recipes/saussage-and-root-vegetable-stew-recipe
Lamb tagine www.bbc.com/food/recipes/slow-cooker_lamb_and_79282
Chickpea tagine www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/2901-Moroccan-slow-cooker-veggie-tagine I love tagines because couscous is so quick and easy to prepare - just soak in a bowl of boiling water for 12mins.
Lentil ragu www.butcherbakerblog.com/2014/03/21/slow-cooked-lentil-ragu/
I do this bolognese with pre cubed packs of pancetta realfood.tesco.com/recipes/slow-cooker-bolognese.html and a packet of bolognese base mix veg
More prep than the meals above, but still very quick www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-curry

cittigirl Wed 21-Oct-20 07:46:34

Fivemoreminutes1

Thankyou 😊

SpaceOP Wed 21-Oct-20 10:56:51

I do lots of stews in mine.

Saute chopped onions with leeks/celery etc. then add to slow cooker.

Chop lamb/beef into bite sized pieces (don't use supermarket marked, "stewing" meat - it's always awful. Use lamb shoulder or beef shin or similar). Season and dredge in flour then fry in batches and add to slow cooker.

Add chunks of preferred veg - we like carrots/butternut but parsnips, potatoes, etc all work well.

In pan used to brown meat, add some wine, tin of chopped tomato or passata, a stock cube and enough boiling water to melt stock cube. Bubble for a few minutes then add to slow cooker. Top up with water from kettle to just cover.

Flavourings:

For beef, I tend to keep it simple, adding ginger to the onion mix, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. You could add a clove or two as well.

For lamb, we like a stick of cinnamon and a star anise with a squeeze of honey. Alternatively, a half teaspoon each of cinnamon, cumin and coriander, added to the onion when it's translucent can be nice. A teaspoon of sugar/some honey if desired.

Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10.

cittigirl Tue 27-Oct-20 07:11:29

SpaceOP thankyou

TallGiraffe20 Wed 28-Oct-20 18:49:02

I often use this one. It doesn't take too long to prep, you just need to brown the beef, and tastes amazing.

www.tendrevolution.com/recipes-home/beef-shin-ragu

StCharlotte Wed 28-Oct-20 18:52:17

This is a regular in our house.

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/beef-goulash

yarncakes Wed 28-Oct-20 21:32:20

Meatball Bolognese

Chicken and Veg Stew with "homemade bread", I just use the ready mix from Aldi. Just need to add water, let it prove then pop into the oven smile

Hunters Chicken. Chicken goes very soft and tender.

Lamb Curry. I use cheap cut lamb. Can also do Irish Stew instead as well.

I try and not do too many things in the slow cooker as they do end up tasting the same (almost). I wouldn't do a whole chicken for example because it goes way too soft and starts to go mushy. Also wouldn't do pasta dishes either in there.

TheFormerPorpentinaScamander Wed 28-Oct-20 21:35:54

We love this beef stew

Or the slimming world pulled gammon is lovely.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in