Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian indian takeaway

(14 Posts)
BonnieTellyLass Fri 18-Sep-20 07:57:05

hi all

Been vegetarian around a year and have avoided indian takeaways as every time i get a "veg curry" its full of green beans and cant stand them!!

Dh misses them...wants one this weekend... what can people reccomend and ill look around a few local resturants to see if they do a version

Oh i dont like paneer! Tried that too (i promise im not fussy...)

OP’s posts: |
MirandaMarple Fri 18-Sep-20 08:38:10

Dal
Bombay potatoes
Aloo gobi
Sag aloo

lastqueenofscotland Fri 18-Sep-20 10:59:58

Saag aloo is my favourite
Tarka Dahl
Chana masala

BaronessBomburst Fri 18-Sep-20 11:02:16

I always get dhal of some sort, and aloo gobi or saag aloo, with a stuffed paratha if they do them.

SweetGrapes Fri 18-Sep-20 11:03:01

Aubergine / Baingan
Brinjal

Sparklfairy Fri 18-Sep-20 11:08:28

I love paneer but every single restaurant cooks it differently and it can be hit and miss. I haven't found a decent one since moving out of London years ago!!

I love most veg but agree veg curries are vile.

My vegetarian aunt eats Indian food a lot and loves daals, I don't eat fish really but she has a lot of favourite fish dishes (not just prawn curry haha).

Indians traditionally eat a lot of vegetarian food and do it very well. I'm sure scrutinising the menu about what spices are used and how hot a dish is you'll find some gems smile if not, you might have to occasionally put up with the odd Indian for your DP like I do with greasy Chinese now and then ugh

muddledmidget Fri 18-Sep-20 11:10:45

I ask my Indian to make me a mushroom saag, as mushrooms and spinach are my favourites! Also bombay potatoes, garlic naan and a chana masala or tarka daal

weegiemum Fri 18-Sep-20 11:17:44

We're having Indian tonight, I will have tarka Dahl and aloo channa, with mushroom pilau rice and a plain naan. It'll do for lunch tomorrow as well.

Dh will have chicken korma but will have aloo hobo and bindi bhaji as well.

BonnieTellyLass Fri 18-Sep-20 11:21:18

Mmmm some gorgeous suggestions here thank you so much!! Hungry now thinking about it!!

OP’s posts: |
violetbunny Fri 18-Sep-20 11:37:01

Malai kofta! Fried potato dumplings in spicy gravy. I always get it if it's on the menu.

NarcissistsEyebrows Fri 18-Sep-20 11:40:56

Def avoid 'veg curry' main and go for a couple of sides instead. Or maybe 3 or 4 as your DH will inevitable have a spoonful of each, realise how delicious they are, then take more.

I love:
Aloo Gobi
Any dhal
Okra
Aubergines

I'm having an Indian takeaway next weekend and I will be the annoying meat eater with my own chicken dish having 3 spoonfuls of my vegetarian friends dishes. In fact now we normally just order about 6 veg dishes and meat eaters might share just one or two meat curries as more of a garnish. 😋😋😋

adagio Fri 18-Sep-20 11:42:54

Vegetarian food studio in Cardiff does amazing Indian food (all vegetarian, obviously!). Maybe look at their menu for inspiration 😁

PaulinePetrovaPosey Fri 18-Sep-20 14:16:35

Can you find a South Indian takeaway? They tend to have amazing veggie food.

Carrotcakeforbreakfast Fri 18-Sep-20 22:52:54

Mushroom and spinach madras is my fave.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in