Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a go at making cider?

(4 Posts)
weehoo Fri 11-Sep-20 22:26:32

Recently bought a house with several mature apple trees in the garden.

Shoot me now, but I don't really enjoy eating apples, especially not in the quantity we have!

We also have a fairly large cellar which came with the house and I hit on the idea of making cider or apple juice (because I'm not busy enough 🙄)

Has anyone tried this at home?

OP’s posts: |
peakotter Sat 12-Sep-20 10:24:38

I make cider vinegar because it’s really easy. I often do it with the apple cores and peel, and make a frozen purée from the rest.

Cider vinegar is really healthy and makes a good gift.

Otherwise leave bags by your door and someone will take them away!

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 14-Sep-20 15:10:29

Apple Juice would be good, but you need to put it in sterile bottles (obviously) and pasteurise otherwise you run the risk of fermentation and....BANG!

EmmaStone Mon 14-Sep-20 19:45:17

We've only got 2 trees, but we've had an amazing crop this year. Currently got almond and apple cake in the oven, and researching best way of preserving apple sauce (and will be making lots more apple chutneys as well). I've thought about making apple cider vinegar...which I can then use for making chutneys I presume.

Also got a glut of crabapples (already made one batch of crabapple jelly and the trees don't look as though I've touched them). And harvested our grapes yesterday and made grape jelly today (in between work calls 😂). It's lovely, but I NEVER saw myself as the person.

No help, but...solidarity 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in