Talk

Advanced search

What to do with a box of apples

(32 Posts)
SpacePug Mon 07-Sep-20 15:56:51

Any ideas for using up a box of apples and some rhubarb gifted by a neighbour? She said they're eaters but are a bit sour so best for cooking. I wondered about a jam/chutney or something 🤔. I'll have to try a pie too, or maybe a cake. What would you make?

OP’s posts: |
wishing3 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:57:42

Crumble! But I am very unoriginal.

wishing3 Mon 07-Sep-20 15:58:13

And rhubarb gin.

Igmum Mon 07-Sep-20 15:59:50

Apple pie! If you want the quick n easy version I just cook up some apples in an Innocent fruit smoothie (other brands are available grin), thicken with a little cornflour then put puff pastry on it and put it in the oven. I'm sure it would work well with rhubarb too

TheSpottedZebra Mon 07-Sep-20 17:19:30

I've a productive apple tree (this year anyway) and today I made an apple cake, tomorrow I'll try a chutney. A spiced, mango-style one rather than a brown, Branstons type.

Ricekrispie22 Mon 07-Sep-20 18:29:33

Pork and apple burgers - I batch cook this recipe and freeze www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pork_and_apple_burger_94249
Pork and apple sausage rolls
Apple flapjacks www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/e/easy-apple-flapjacks.html
Dorset Apple cake
Toffee apple pudding www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sticky-toffee-apple-pudding

FawnDrench Mon 07-Sep-20 18:32:49

Good old retro Apple snow - lovely recipe here

SpacePug Mon 07-Sep-20 19:28:43

Ace ideas!! Drooling at rhubarb gin but I'm am pregnant so it would be no good to me for a few months anyway 😭 but I love the apple cake and chutney, and the easy pie made with smoothie!

OP’s posts: |
thisstooshallpass Mon 07-Sep-20 21:19:05

Apple butter

Look up Hungermama (Bettie Hungerford) on Instagram.

Jedimastermama Mon 07-Sep-20 22:27:36

Apple strudel
Apple loaf cake

AdaColeman Mon 07-Sep-20 22:32:15

Eve’s pudding, quick to make with an “all in together” sponge.

Elouera Mon 07-Sep-20 22:33:59

Apple cake
Apple tart tatin

I also boil apples down to get the pectin. You roughly chop them, pips, skin and all till softened. Strain overnight in a jelly bag or clean pillow case. Use the resulting liquid with sugar and various flavourings to make rosemary jelly, chilli jelly, mint jelly or sage jelly etc which go well with cheeses and meats. You can find various recipes online

AdaColeman Mon 07-Sep-20 22:39:47

French tarte tatin

Baked apples, (might work in the microwave )

Autumn fruit salad, apples pears plums blackberries in any combination poached gently together. Add the blackberries last so they don’t go to mush.

AdaColeman Mon 07-Sep-20 22:41:18

My favourite thing with rhubarb is rhubarb and orange compote.

Palavah Mon 07-Sep-20 22:42:26

I'd eat the apples in slices with cheese

Trekkerbabe Mon 07-Sep-20 22:42:36

Stewed apple and then freeze for later use in any of these recipes. Dont add anything other than a bit if water. Lid on

CountFosco Mon 07-Sep-20 22:46:27

Rhubarb and ginger jam. Cider.

Sensibly, you can chop rhubarb up and freeze it and then just defrost as you need.apples I think you need to cut up and lightly stew to do the same thing.

Or you can send them to DS, his birthday is coming up and he has asked for apples.

kennycat Tue 15-Sep-20 11:09:12

I’m tagging along here and wondering who has a great apple chutney recipe? I’ve done the ones I’ve got loads and am bored with them. One has sultanas and sultanas are too big for a chunky bet I think. Especially if you are putting in a sarnie.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 15-Sep-20 13:50:35

You could chop the sultanas, or justbswitxh them out for a smaller dried fruit?

I've just made a 'mango chutney' but with apples -so really I just copied the spicing but added less liquid. It smelt good, but needs to mature...

SpringFan Tue 15-Sep-20 13:55:35

I have 30 portions of apple for apple crumble in my freezer already!
Apple cake (Joselyn Dimbleby is my favourite) or Delia's Date apple and walnut cake (Both freeze)
Spriced apple chutney
Rhubard and ginger fool - old Delia receipe. I use Waitrose 1 or Sainsbury's TTD custard rather than make my own.

MaMisled Tue 15-Sep-20 13:58:21

Freeze some stewed apples in an ice cube tray to go with porridge, roast pork, ham rolls, yoghurt, pancakes etc

CornflakeMum Tue 15-Sep-20 13:58:56

You could just peel, slice, chop and freeze in batches now then decide exact recipes later - that's what we've done with a lot of ours.

Also made blackberry and apple jam, and DH makes chutney.

NancyBotwinBloom Tue 15-Sep-20 14:03:59

FawnDrench

Good old retro Apple snow - lovely recipe here

Never heard of that going to give that a whirl

Swallowzandamazons Tue 15-Sep-20 16:22:42

I made this cake with cookers I was given and it's absolutely going to be made again. I didn't have a tin that size so I used the two loaf tins I had, and that meant I could freeze one cake for the week after (there's only two of us, and even we're not that greedy!).

It's absolutely gorgeous warmed through and served with custard as a pud. Very like an old fashioned steamed pudding without all the hassle.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dorset-apple-traybake

Read the comments - I did what one person suggested and just cubed the apple and stirred it through rather than layering, worked perfectly.

ToryPartyMum Wed 16-Sep-20 16:39:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in