Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got the Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts Book ???

(12 Posts)
Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 07:22:34

My copy of Vegan Feasts has temporarily (I hope) disappeared into the ether and I really want to make stuffed nut roast. If anyone has a copy, I just need a list of ingredients, no need for elaboration!

Oh, and if you know where the flippin book is, do tell me, I'm blaming everyone including the dog here.

Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 08:22:14

It's out there. Somewhere.

aDead Fri 05-Oct-07 08:35:12

Is this it?

Roast.
2 large onions finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons plain flour
300 ml water
225 grams each of cashews and blanched almonds finely grated (or substitute all macadamias!!)
225 grams fresh white breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated nutmeg

Stuffing.
175 grams fresh white breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion grated
grated zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
handful fresh parsley, chopped
parsley sprigs and lemon slices, to garnish, optional
Instructions Roast.
Preheat oven to 190C. Grease a 900 gramloaf tin and line with greased non-stick baking paper

Fry the onions in the oil in a large saucepan, gently, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Stir them occasionally and don't let them brown.

Add the flour to the onions, stir for a moment, and then stir in the water and stir until thickened.

Remove from the heat and add the nuts, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and salt, pepper and grated nutmeg. Leave to one side.

Stuffing.
Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, and a little salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until combined, then form into a flat rectangle the size of the loaf tin.

To assemble.
Spoon half the nut mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the surface level, then place the rectangle of stuffing on top. Cover with the remaining nut mixture, smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until firm in the middle and lightly browned on top.

When ready, remove it from the oven and leave stand for 4 - 5 minutes, then slip a knife round the sides to loosen, invert a warmed serving plate on top, and turn out the nut roast. Garnish with the parsley and lemon slices if using.

moondog Fri 05-Oct-07 08:42:20

Blimey,that sounds grim.

grin

aDead Fri 05-Oct-07 08:46:58

ha ha!

I thought it sounded quite nice. But you just have to mention that something has nuts in to me and i would probably like it!

Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 08:47:26

aDead, thank you SO much, that is it exactly! smile

moondog, dinner is at 5.30pm, see you there.

moondog Fri 05-Oct-07 08:48:06

lol

moondog Fri 05-Oct-07 08:48:26

(Bit early for me but thanks all the smae)

Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 08:49:43

aDead, it is really nice - subtle and nutty and lemony and yum. Thanks again!

Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 08:50:37

Bit early for me too but am actually going out with GROWN-UPS later, ooh, exciting rarity!

Don't worry, I'll save you a slice wink

moondog Fri 05-Oct-07 08:51:34

Oooh splendid.
Have a good evening. smile

Walnutshell Fri 05-Oct-07 09:08:51

Why thank you, I will try very hard smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now