Talk

Advanced search

Help the veggie cook Beef Stew

(5 Posts)
mozzybear Thu 04-Oct-07 15:02:55

Ok, I've fried onions, floured and sealed the beef, added potatoes carrots and stock. It been in the oven (covered) for 2/3 hours. Just checked on it and everything seems ok, possibly need a bigger dish as one of the beef chunks was a little dry of the corner.

Still quite watery...is this normal? And isn't going to be eaten till 6.30pm Been cooking at 150C

Any advice gratefully received.

suzywong Thu 04-Oct-07 15:07:08

OK what you want to do is
a) put in a good dash of lea and perrin's worcestershire sauce
and b) take half a cupful of the cooking liquid out of the pot and add it very gradually to a heaped teaspoon of cornflour which you have placed in a small pan.stir in to make a paste and then bring it to a simmer for 2 minutes, then add it to the main pot and continue to cook it.

make sure you serve it with lots of good mashed potatoes

and try some yourself. It may turn you

mozzybear Thu 04-Oct-07 15:33:25

must have read your mind re: the worcester sauce! Have no cornflour and already have potatoes in dish.

And the gunk on my hands after flouring the meat was enough to ensure I stay veggie. I'll stick with my chickpea curry ta very much wink

suzywong Thu 04-Oct-07 15:34:42

what are you doing with worcesterereshire sauce in your larder? It's got anchovies in it you know!

(have you heard the new foo fighters album yet?)

mozzybear Thu 04-Oct-07 16:19:34

Hehe, I'm a non flesh eating veggie. I still eat sweets, jelly and other undectectables! And I still cook it (obviously!)

(Yes, think new FF album is better than IYH...well IMO! - Colour and the Shape still my favourite though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now