Talk

Advanced search

Indian Curry recipe

(10 Posts)
bumbleb33s Mon 17-Aug-20 16:20:11

I'm going to be hosting a family meal in a few weeks and I'd love to do a couple of curry's, we all love them and it's my favourite food, also great to pre-cook and just help ourselves and not have to stand in the kitchen all evening.

I'm told I'm a good cook but I have NEVER mastered a curry from scratch and I'd love to be able to.

Are there any successful curry makers here that can give me some good tips

thanks

OP’s posts: |
karmakameleon Mon 17-Aug-20 18:21:04

My two top tips are always brown your onions (they need to be a shade away from burnt) and use plenty of salt. Meer Sodha’s recipes are reliable and her basic chicken curry recipe is straight forward and delicious.

meerasodha.com/what-my-mother-taught-me/

cdtaylornats Mon 17-Aug-20 22:04:42

The Hairy Bikers Great Curries

I've cooked a fair number of recipies from this book. Some of the non-Indian curries are really good.

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 17-Aug-20 22:06:40

Go to an Indian recipe site - vegrecipesofindia is good for proper traditional home style curries, while heber’s kitchen is better at everything else.

bumbleb33s Mon 17-Aug-20 22:27:25

Thanks everyone, I’ll try these before the event to test them out smile

OP’s posts: |
thisstooshallpass Tue 18-Aug-20 17:18:51

Jamie Oliver has a list of recipes for curry pastes. Check his website.

My favourite Indian cook/chef is Maunika Gowarden. She is on Instagram and has a great website. Her butter chicken is foolproof and amazing. Well worth the effort.

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 19-Aug-20 10:02:49

Don't use old spices. I roast and grind my own. Agree with the statement re onions too.

BringBackDoves Wed 19-Aug-20 10:10:42

karmakameleon

My two top tips are always brown your onions (they need to be a shade away from burnt) and use plenty of salt. Meer Sodha’s recipes are reliable and her basic chicken curry recipe is straight forward and delicious.

meerasodha.com/what-my-mother-taught-me/

Totally agree with this. I cook a lot of curries and went to a brilliant Indian cookery class - the teacher said this, make sure you cook the onions for aaaages, and it really does make a huge difference to the flavour.

And if you use boneless meat, marinate it in yoghurt and spices before cooking to ensure it doesn’t dry out (esp chicken).

Also, ghee, but it’s not especially healthy!!

If you fancy fish curry, Rick Stein has a delicious recipe - I don’t normally go for it but this one is amazing.

thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/malaysian-fish-curry-with-tomato-and-okra

I have had a lot of recipes and spices from this place and they have all been delicious - you’re still cooking from scratch but to a recipe, lots of dishes and the spices all provided. They do subscriptions but you can buy the spice boxes as a one off. Honestly they’ve all been lovely but you do have to set aside a bit of time to cook!

www.thespicery.com/

lurker101 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:12:37

Sanjeev Kapoor has some great authentic recipes online and on YouTube

YetAnotherSpartacus Wed 19-Aug-20 10:17:23

I brown massive lots of onions and then I grind and freeze them. I do similar with cashews soaked in milk and then ground and garlic and ginger lightly shallow fried and frozen. Sometimes, depending on the curry, I use roast garlic. It's nice in milder sauces such as those for a korma or a malai kofta.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in