Talk

Advanced search

What is a pork slipper joint? I have searched the internet in vain.

(14 Posts)
bozza Wed 03-Oct-07 11:05:26

I have bought a pork slipper joint from the farm shop but can't find anything on it on the net. Does anyone know what sort of a joint it is and how it should be cooked?

bozza Wed 03-Oct-07 11:27:23

?

CountessDracula Wed 03-Oct-07 11:31:07

It sounds like something from the profanisaurus, a synonym for beef curtains wink

CountessDracula Wed 03-Oct-07 11:34:28

actually it is from the inside of the hind leg

WendyWeber Wed 03-Oct-07 11:36:04

It's a boneless thigh I think, bozza (ref to removing it from femur on one meat site anyway)

Does that help at all? (Prob not!)

Actually looking again the one I saw was cured - like gammon?

CountessDracula Wed 03-Oct-07 11:36:27

sounds like gammon/bacon

WendyWeber Wed 03-Oct-07 11:40:05

I just googled "recipe pork slipper joint" and guess what was the second entry? grin

bozza Wed 03-Oct-07 12:07:48

So it is basically a gammon? It was in a chilled cabinet to the side of the butcher's counter. So do I need to cook it like gammon? Or can I do it like a joint of pork? My ILs are visiting on Sunday and I was thinking of having it then - maybe I should just buy a chicken.

WendyWeber Wed 03-Oct-07 12:29:44

There are gammon joints you can roast, but I think they're different cuts. um - could you go back and ask the butcher what to do with it? (or would that be too blush???)

If you want a roast, chicken prob safer grin

bozza Wed 03-Oct-07 12:33:02

grin I think I might leave it in the freezer because I will not have time to go to the farm shop before the weekend. Get it out when we don't have anyone coming and buy a chicken for this Sunday.

I can cook casseroles and stir frys and risottos etc until they are coming out of my ears, but tend to fall down when it comes to joints.

iota Wed 03-Oct-07 12:35:23

ham or Boston Butt smile

iota Wed 03-Oct-07 12:36:06

try again

slipper ham or Boston Butt

Sixofoneyedmonster Thu 04-Oct-07 07:36:15

It sounds like what the others have said. Is it smoked/ cured?

I am no good at joints either. I usually bung them in the slow cooker with a bit of water and a few herbs, and leave them there all day as I am worried that if I try roasting they won't cook through hmm

bozza Thu 04-Oct-07 09:24:15

Thanks. It is in the freezer at home and I am at work, hence I am a bit vague. I will try it another week. Not sure if it smoked or not. I'm a bit hopeless really, aren't I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now