Talk

Advanced search

Huge Bag of Cooking Apples

(12 Posts)
KindMum Mon 01-Oct-07 21:40:29

Anyone any idea what I can make with them? I´d rather something that could be frozen if possible. There really are a lot of them! Any relatively easy recipes please? Thanks!

FabulousKbear Mon 01-Oct-07 21:42:18

apple cake
apple flapjacks
apple snow
apple sauce
apple fritters
apple pie
apple crumble

Twiglett Mon 01-Oct-07 21:44:35

make a load of apple puree and freeze it in portions then you can use it for crumbles and pies etc

apple spice muffins (I posted the recipe today on another thread)

strudle

Lilymaid Mon 01-Oct-07 21:45:36

It may seem old fashioned and rather boring, but stewed apple (perhaps flavoured with cinnamon) is a really good standby for a pud in winter, served with yoghurt, custard, ice cream etc.

Carmenere Mon 01-Oct-07 21:46:55

Chutney

Furball Mon 01-Oct-07 21:47:44

i peel and chop ours and put them in bags in the freezer and use them as and when throughout the year

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Oct-07 21:55:10

Watching this with interest as have made apple chutney, apple jelly, apple curd and still have a load left and looking for new ideas. See this thread

KindMum Mon 01-Oct-07 21:55:29

Thanks everyone, maybe best to stew them all up with spices then and freeze in crumble size or compote size portions. Otherwise I know they will just go bad before I get round to making something with them!

stealthsquiggle Mon 01-Oct-07 21:56:17

peel, slice and open freeze - then you can use them for anything!

KindMum Tue 02-Oct-07 20:46:34

Can I freeze apple crumble? If not, why not?

stealthsquiggle Tue 02-Oct-07 22:52:47

Yes, no problem (just put the crumble on, don't cook it before freezing) but it takes forever to thaw and even longer to cook from frozen

Katsma Wed 03-Oct-07 00:29:09

Do some with blueberry for a change - they go great with apple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now