Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what can I do with pancetta?

(12 Posts)
ssd Mon 01-Oct-07 18:49:37

bought it thinking "this'll be useful", now don't know what the hell to do with it!!

any ideas?

NAB3 Mon 01-Oct-07 18:51:30

Have you got any chicken, onions and new potatoes as well?

wheelybug Mon 01-Oct-07 18:51:34

carbonara ?

ssd Mon 01-Oct-07 18:52:41

NAB3 whats that all for?

sounds good, can't imagine what to do with it though

orangina Mon 01-Oct-07 18:54:10

I second carbonara......

NAB3 Mon 01-Oct-07 18:56:10

Recipe to follow.

It is delish.

Califright Mon 01-Oct-07 18:56:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NAB3 Mon 01-Oct-07 19:02:22

Rustic Italian Chicken with pancetta and rosemary.
Serves 4.
Prep time-15mins
Cooking time-30 mins

450g/1lb small-medium sized new potatoes.
102tbsp olive oil, or less if you have a non-stick pan.
1 medium onion, chopped.
1 large clove garlic, chopped.
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small strips or 450g chicken stir fry.
salt and pepper.
55g/2oz pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, cut into strips.
1/2 glass dry white wine (optional)
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, torn into small pieces.

Quarter or halve the potatoes, depending on their size and boil in salted water for 8-10 minutes until just cooked, then drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion for 2-3 mins until translucent. Add the agrlic. season the chicken pieces with S & P and add to the pan.

Fry the chicken for 5 mins, then add the bacon, potatoes and rosemary. Fry for 8 mins, turning occasionally, until the chicken is golden and the potatoes have some colour. Add the wine and cook over a high heat until most of the liduid has reduced. Check seasoning and serve.

ssd Mon 01-Oct-07 20:15:40

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

ta!

NAB3 Mon 01-Oct-07 20:59:07

It really is Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lazyemma Mon 01-Oct-07 21:32:42

Like some others, I thought carbonara as soon as I looked at this thread. I make it (for two people) with just less than half a packet of linguine. You can use spaghetti or tagliatelli too, but linguine is my favourite.

Put the pasta on to boil and fry the pancetta until beginning to go crispy round the edges. (is it diced or in strips? if in strips, cut up before frying) It is indeed fatty but that's the best thing about it. Fat = flavour.

Meanwhile, mix three eggs, some black pepper, and a generous amount of pecorino (or parmesan, but I prefer pecorino and it's cheaper anyway) in a jug and set aside. You don't need salt - the pecorino and pancetta are both plenty salty.

After you've drained the pasta, return it to the pan, off the heat, and stir through the pancetta and any fat in the pan. Then gently stir through the egg and cheese mixture. The heat of the pasta cooks the egg just enough (which is why you don't want to go mad with the stirring - you'll make it get cooler).

The reason you don't want to have the pan on a hob at this point is that cooking it further will turn your lovely carbonara into pasta with scrambled eggs.

It's one of my favourite meals - so simple, just four main ingredients, very quick to make, absolutely delicious and very comforting too.

ssd Tue 02-Oct-07 08:47:30

sounds great too!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now