Talk

Advanced search

Who here has a yoghurt maker

(23 Posts)
Charlee Mon 01-Oct-07 16:57:56

I really want one, can anyone recomend one?

Ta x

Charlee Mon 01-Oct-07 18:24:13

anyone?

Charlee Mon 01-Oct-07 19:15:08

I will take that as a no then..........

SenoraPostrophe Mon 01-Oct-07 19:16:24

me!

I have a lakeland one. it's fine. it's only a pot in a heater though. I can't imagine how one could be better than another really.

dustystar Mon 01-Oct-07 19:16:27

chocolateteapot has one - she was on here earlier but I think she's gone now. If I talk to her I'll ask her to look at your threadsmile

FromGirders Mon 01-Oct-07 19:17:05

I do, I have the one from Lakeland, it's pretty good. I use UHT milk as it's easier, but you can use ordinary too. Instructions come with it. I'm not sure if they still do the yoghurt strainer that you can buy too, but it's really great, makes your yoghurt so thick you can slice it.

iris66 Mon 01-Oct-07 19:19:40

I've got an Easiyo one (also from lakeland. Packet of yoghurt mix, water & overnight in thermos thing. Brilliant invention.

moondog Mon 01-Oct-07 19:19:49

You can make yoghurt in any old pot tbh.

Charlee Mon 01-Oct-07 19:20:47

How moondog?

I just really want homemade yoghurt, my mum used to make it when we were kids and it was fab.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 01-Oct-07 19:23:04

moondog is right, but it won't work very well unless your house is between 28 and 32 degrees.

you just add some live yoghurt to boiled or uht milk (any milk - goats milk and soya milk work too). you can also add some powdered milk to make it thicker. the yoghurt maker keeps it at the right temp.

moondog Mon 01-Oct-07 19:24:27

We used to hang a pot behind the fridge when I wa a kid (nice and warm there.)
On top of a boiler would be good too.
Having said that,Netto sell plain live yoghurt for about 50p now so I don't bother.

Roseylea Mon 01-Oct-07 19:25:34

I have one from Lakeland as well; you plug it in and leave it to do its thing overnight then get lukewarm yogurt for breakfast the next day hmm (It's much nicer cold.)

The dc think it's magic. They're easily impressed.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 01-Oct-07 19:52:58

yes, but they don't sell super creamy yoghurt made with evap do they?

behind fridge = good idea if i had a v thin pot...

portonovo Tue 02-Oct-07 10:20:07

I just use an ordinary flask. Works every time. Been doing that for over 20 years, so I've never felt the need for an electric one.
In fact, in my teens I used to just make it in any pot, cover it and put it in the airing cupboard, that worked OK although not quite as consistent as using a flask.

Cappuccino Tue 02-Oct-07 10:23:57

Senora creamy evap yog HOW? HOW?

<frantically dusts off yogurt maker>

Piffle Tue 02-Oct-07 10:25:23

easiyo from lakeland, piece of cake gorgeous yoghurt

majorstress Tue 02-Oct-07 10:29:13

I use my Easiyo one to make their custard yoghurt mix, which we eat all the time on fruit crumble. It can make ice cream too but I haven;t tried it yet.

Anchovy Tue 02-Oct-07 10:47:52

Our nanny has one of the Easiyo ones and is evangelical about it. She brought it round to demonstrate and gave us a big pot of the creamy greek yoghurt, which was delicious.

Am loving the sound of the custard variant!

I had a look at the ingredients on the packet (am v fussy in that regard) and it did all seem good stuff - just dried milk basically, although I think the fruit flavoured ones were a bit suspect.

majorstress Tue 02-Oct-07 13:11:45

I don't like the fruit flavoured ones much.

iota Tue 02-Oct-07 13:16:54

my mother went through a phase of making yoghurt in a thermos flask - no special yoghurt maker required

BeenleighOfTheDead Tue 02-Oct-07 13:18:25

I had one but freecycled it, if I was going to get another, I would be inclined to get one that made a big pot rather than several small ones

Piffle Tue 02-Oct-07 13:23:53

we make plain easiyo and add fruit or jam or use it as cream etc

SenoraPostrophe Tue 02-Oct-07 18:50:55

grin capuccino.

1 part evap to 4 parts boiled milk (too much evap tastes sickly); plus the live yog and that's it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now