Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

need recipes for couscous please

(7 Posts)
AnAngelWithin Mon 01-Oct-07 12:14:11

i love it but i am fed up of doing the same old things with it!! i would like some inspiration for healthy ideas that i can serve ideally with grilled chicken. thanks!!

Sunshinemummy Mon 01-Oct-07 12:22:42

I normally chuck in peppers, toms, garlic, spring onions, lemon juice, coriander, chilli, salt and pepper.

I buy a lovely pre-made one from Sainsbury's which has a chilli sauce, parsley and feta cheese (I normally add extra Tabasco and lemon juice) so that's an option.

Also you could do a fruity one with red onion, sultanas, other dried fruit, Tabasco etc.

shrooms Mon 01-Oct-07 12:24:47

I make mine by covering with vegetable stock and a tbs or 2 of olive oil/ teeny bit of sesame oil too.
Leave for about 15-30 mins depending on the brand and it should have soaked it all up.
The additions I make depend on what I am having it with, sometimes I just have it plain.
But other times I add with the veg stock:
A tim or chickpeas; chopped coriander leaves, a tsp smoked paprika, chopped tomatoes, celery, peppers (roasted), cucumber, fried courgette, onions, garlic, so mix and match!

You could use that recipe to stuff vegetable such as courgettes, peppers, or squash so see which you like best.

You can apparently also use it in cakes, but I don't have a recipe for that!

rosealbie Mon 01-Oct-07 12:25:08

I use tomatoes, grated carrot, spring onions, lemon juice, olive oil and loads of mint and parsley.

I usually make it like this for the dc though so you might want something with a stronger taste.

melpomene Mon 01-Oct-07 12:28:08

Mix some dried cranberries into the couscous. Cover with stock; leave for 5 mins. Then add toasted flaked almonds, lemon juice and a bit of olive oil. Yum.

AnAngelWithin Mon 01-Oct-07 12:29:42

ooh they all sound nice. would leave out the peppers though as i can't stand them lol. i normally do mine with red onions, garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes and coriander in. i like the sound of the fruity one

trixymalixy Mon 01-Oct-07 12:34:46

fry some onions and garlic with cinnamon, ginger and cumin

stir in the dry couscous

pour in some chiken stock and leave for 10 mins

stir in raisins, chopped apricots and fresh coriander

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now