Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Apple pie

(3 Posts)
fairy23 Sun 30-Sep-07 22:05:04

anyone know a guick and easy recipe for apple pie. DH just brought in a large bag of apples from our garden, and he loves apple pie. But I have never made it b4.

mylastrolo Sun 30-Sep-07 22:22:27

my mums one was always lovely.

sweet pastry self-raising flower
egg
sugar
butter
roll out place stewed apples in she never used cineman i do
another layer of pastry
and wash with an egg
cook until golden brown.

very vague i know but maybe she should have used plain flower but it was always lush.

Meridian Wed 03-Oct-07 09:13:08

i just found this thread so i dont know if you still need a recipe but i have a good one for an apple upside down cake that is lovely.

as for a normal apple pie i tend to cheat and buy ready made pastry/dough and pre bake it for 10 min or so otherwise it can be a bit soggy.. for the mix

peel and core the apples add a cup of brown suger and a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a few tablespoons of flour (to thicken the lquid) the apple mixture into the base and add a good lump/knob of butter, top the mixture with the rest of the pastry/dough, put a few slits or holes in the centre of the pie and wash with an egg if you desire but its not essentail... then pop in the oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the top crust is nicely browned.

its not much of a recipe but its what my dad always makes at holidays and he taught it to me. I do prefer the apple cake though as that always seems to go in a day or two at most.

oh and any apple will do, i don't normally use cooking apples though as i think they are just too bitter and you have to add way too much sugar... the sweeter the apple is naturally the less brown sugar to add...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now