Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me how to amke "real" gravy???

(7 Posts)
pyjamagirl Sun 30-Sep-07 10:44:16

blush I have a chicken in the oven now and I would like to make gravy from the chicken rather then bisto hmm can anyone tell a newbie to cooking how to do this?

USAUKMum Sun 30-Sep-07 10:58:26

REmove chicken from the roasting pan (allow chicken to rest before carving)

place roasting pan on the stovetop. Pour in 100 ml of white wine, bring to a boil over high heat. Stirring constanly for about 5 min scraping up any brown bits. Add about 300 - 400 ml of chicken stock (depending on how much gravy you want). Simmer 5 more min. Transfer to a saucepan through a strainer, straining out any bits left. Dissolve 1 tbsp cornflour in water, add to saucepan. Whisk in 1 tsp dijon mustard. Bring to a boil & whisk until thick (though I usually leave it boiling and stir every now and then/) Season.

suzywong Sun 30-Sep-07 10:58:27

right
what you do is remove the chicken and set in on a carving board to rest, all meat that has been roasted must rest in order for the fibres to relax.

Have to hand
a glug of booze - white or red wine, sherry even a dash of brandy
half a pint of hot water
a cup with a heaped teaspoon of cornflour in it
a teaspoon
some good seasoning like a dash of Lea and Perrins, salt and pepper, thyme or mixed herbs

put the pan in which the chicken roasted directly on to the stove top and under a medium heat and with a wooden spoon begin to scrape up all the lovely crunchy bits and mix up what's left in the pan
when it is bubbling through in the booze and mix it all around, scraping the crunchy bits off the bottom.
turn the heat right down to a simmer
take the cup of cornflour and add a few drops of cold water and mix to a paste with the teaspoon
pour on a tablespoon of the hot water and mix well
add this paste to the chicken pan and then add the hot water and stir like crazy so it all amalgamates
add your seasoning
keep stirring while it bubbles away for three minutes
take it off the heat
strain it through a sieve
put a sheet of kitchen paper on the surface of it to absorb some of the fat

in an ideal world you should leave it to cool for 15 mins so the fat comes to the top and you can remove it

suzywong Sun 30-Sep-07 11:00:03

oh, good call with the mustard
envy of usaukmum's culinary finesse

USAUKMum Sun 30-Sep-07 11:01:21

(preening with pleasure) Thank you grin

lovey Mon 01-Oct-07 17:43:55

Ok, after cooking your meat with shallots and taken out the meat, heat the juices left over and shallots with some cornflour (already mixed with water) a good glug of wine and some stock - delish

lovey Mon 01-Oct-07 17:50:14

stir on the heat until reduced and take off shallots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now