Talk

Advanced search

Wanted: old primary school recipes

(6 Posts)
willowsmom Sat 29-Sep-07 04:05:05

In my old Primary school they used to serve up the following 5 foods which I have been having a difficult time trying to find the recipe for. If anyone could help I will be MOST MOOOOOOST grateful ...

1) chocolate custard (usually served with chocolate cake)
2) Bakewell tart (I have a recipe for this but I am looking for the specific one that schools make as it tastes different from any i could make)
3) Apricot pie/crumble
4)Plum pie/crumble
5) Chocolate cake with a hard pink frosting that had some kind of sprinkles on it.

Thanks in advance!

PrettyCandles Sat 29-Sep-07 07:21:08

Birds custard powder (the cooking sort or the instant sort) poured hot over grated milk chocolate and well mixed makes a very good facsimile of school chocolate sauce, especially if you make the custard up slightly weak.

Try making your Bakewell tart as the recipe, but replace part of the ground almonds with stale cake crumbs or crumbled shortbread, and adding a little almond essence.

popsycal Sat 29-Sep-07 07:24:24

manchester tart

not you - the pudding

there is a school dinners website
let me see if I can find it

wrinklygran Sat 29-Sep-07 13:28:10

A family favourite known as "School Chocolate Crunch" was given to me by a school cook. It may be the chocolate base for your iced cake as it is soft hot and crunchy when cold, not that it ever gets the chance to cool down in this household when the grandchildren are about!

6oz plain flour (health freaks can use
wholemeal0
4oz butter or hard margarine
4oz sugar
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa

melt butter carefully in a pan, add mixed dry ingredients. mix thoroughly, press into greased baking tin and smooth down. wash top with a little water an d sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 15 mins. Mark slices while still hot and serve with lumpy school custard. Regret soon after not having made double quantities. All my grandchildren know the recipe by heart.

willowsmom Sat 29-Sep-07 15:38:44

Prettycandles, can it really be that easy? I can't wait to try those recipes.

PrettyCandles Sat 29-Sep-07 22:15:15

Depends if your school puds were the same as mine! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now