Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your BEST recipes for (i) celeriac and (ii) kohlrabi ... please?

(12 Posts)
Bink Fri 28-Sep-07 22:04:55

.. and, if possible (please) not ones where all you do is substitute the weirdy vegetable for a normal one - eg mashed celeriac instead of potato on fish pie.

Someone on here produced a genius fennel recipe, which couldn't be made with anything other than fennel & brings out the best in it in a really unexpected way.

So ... I am hoping someone might have something equally brilliant for celeriac, and for kohlrabi.

??

shrooms Sat 29-Sep-07 13:35:54

Celeriac and pear soup:

Fry and onion and a few cloves of garlic in olive oil till very soft. Add the cubed celeriac, three cubed pears and 1 cubed large potato. Sautee for a bit, then add 1-2 litres of vegetable stock , two bay leaves, and cover to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Take out the bay leaves and blend. Season to taste.

shrooms Sat 29-Sep-07 13:41:07

You can use the kohlrabi in a stew with lots of other root veg, stock, and spices.
Also use in pies and soups.
I know this is kind of not what you wanted, but have you tried making rosti with celeriac coz it's delicious!
I saw something about serving it cooked and cubed in a greek salad too.

clandestine Sat 29-Sep-07 13:57:32

I find celariac best mashed and then mixed with mashed pots (roughly 1/3 celariac to 2/3 mashed pots suits our tastes). I then use this whereever I would use mashed potatoes. I think it comes into diviness though, when served with a long cooked lamb casserole

Kohlrabi, I find best sliced very thinly and then blanced for 30secs or so and then used in salads. It seems to work especially well with beetroot.

It also makes a wonderful chutney with beetroot and apple, as it seems to retain a bit of crunch!

yellowfrin Tue 02-Oct-07 22:50:04

eat Kohlrabi raw so yummy in a lunch box

slim22 Wed 03-Oct-07 11:05:25

what is kohlrabi???

aDead Wed 03-Oct-07 11:14:53

it's looks a bit like a flying saucer!

Nice peeled and roasted witha bit of garlic.

lulu25 Wed 03-Oct-07 18:43:44

celeriac sliced thinly, mixed with cream, olive oil, S&P and a bit of garlic, and baked in the oven like a gratin dauphinoise (alice waters recipe).

celeri remoulade - raw or blanched and mixed with a mustard mayonnaise, as a starter esp before steak and chips

kohl rabi sliced thinly and cooked on the stovetop again with cream and fresh parsley if you have it

are you dealing with an organic box?

lulu25 Wed 03-Oct-07 18:44:18

oh celeri remoulade you grate/julienne it - japanese mandolin is perfect for this. watch your fingers now.

uberalice Wed 03-Oct-07 18:48:46

(i) I had a similar thread recently here.
(ii) Yes, I want to know that too.

CountessDracula Wed 03-Oct-07 18:50:50

sophable makes great celeriac chips
and a really good mash with grainy mustard IIRC

Whooosh Wed 03-Oct-07 21:01:36

Grated celeriac with mayonnaise,wholegrain mustard and some salt-yummy on it's own or served with sourdough bread.....or merely as a side dish (cold)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now