Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I bought red lentils .. I always mess up thinking I know what to do with red lentils

(18 Posts)
Twiglett Thu 27-Sep-07 13:16:12

when actually its one of the few things that when I think 'oh I'll bung some of that in' (my preferred method of cooking) it's very hit and miss

so what are the nicest things to do with red lentils (and can you tell me how / what to do)

my sister makes a nice soup .. I could call her but then I'd have to speak to her and I don't wanna do that, oh no

... I have chicken stock on the boil

OrmIrian Thu 27-Sep-07 13:19:38

Lentil chilli is good. Also you can boil them and add them to grated cheese and beaten egg to make rissoly sort of things - served with tzasiki or some such.

I prefer green lentils but red ones do the trick too.

Twiglett Thu 27-Sep-07 13:20:26

you tease orm ..directs ormirian to the (and can you tell me how / what to do) part of the OP

FabulousKbear Thu 27-Sep-07 13:21:09

I put them in bolognese sauce (cook them first obv!) which makes it healthier and goes further!

Nice in chicken soup too. Not too many though.

Twiglett Thu 27-Sep-07 13:24:26

do you fry them? in butter? in oil?

do you coat the bottom of pan like with popcorn or do you use more?

please help me .. I don't understand the lentil-age .. never have really

bran Thu 27-Sep-07 13:26:12

I always add a couple of handfuls when I'm making curry, an extra handful if I'm making veg curry.

OrmIrian Thu 27-Sep-07 13:26:18

Oh yes...sorry. <<<<<tries to remember recipe>>>>> I'm afraid I tend to be one of the chuck it in and see school of thought but here goes.. I don't do quantities though so just assume everything is 'to taste'grin

Lentil chilli

Boil lentils until slightly soft.
Chop and fry onions, mushrooms, fresh chillies and garlic. Add lentils, tomatoes and beans.
Soy sauce or some sort of stock to add flavour.
Simmer for half an hour or so.

Cheesy mushroom rissole things

Boil lentils, add them to grated cheese (lots) and some paprika. Mix in beaten egg. These can be fried (tut!)or baked in a pan with some olive oil.

Yes I know it's all a bit vague but that's how I cook and it usually ends up OK. I guess I'll put the recipe book writing career on hold then grin

fibernie Thu 27-Sep-07 13:29:26

Lentil pasta is really easy - chop and fry an onion then stir in about two handfuls of lentils. Add a can of tomatoes and a bit of stock and simmer until the lentils have burst. You can blend it if you want a smoother sauce. This is my really simple storecupboard standby.

Lentil soup - fry onions, celery and chopped carrots and potatoes, chuck in a coupld of handfuls lentils, let them sweat a bit then add stock, bay leaf and simmer until lentils and veg cooked. I think the celery gives this soup a really nice crisp flavour.

Sheperdess pie also good - if interested I'll dig out the recipe.

Heathcliffscathy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:30:15

put it in anything slowcooked twig, to thicken and add bulk.

I put mine in chilli con carne, in soups etc etc

Twiglett Thu 27-Sep-07 13:35:22

that's the kind of bung-in cooking I normally do ... can I just throw it in soph, or do I have to pre-cook it

fluffyanimal Thu 27-Sep-07 13:39:37

Cut a chunk of chorizo into small dice. Fry with a chopped onion, chopped red pepper, sliced mushrooms. Stir in 3-4oz red lentils till all coated with the oil. Pour over 1/2 - 3/4 pint of stock, or enough to cover the ingredients, simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft and all liquid has been absorbed. Serve. Yum.

Heathcliffscathy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:40:53

if it is slowcooked stuff, then bung in...red split lentils take about half an hour to cook, as there is less liquid in a stew or casserole then there would be if you put them in water (obv...blush ) then I allow 45 mins to an hour. and the longer they cook, the more they breakdown into the body of the stewy thing....

Bewilderbeast Thu 27-Sep-07 13:41:36

I put them in lasagne to eak out the meat - very yummy

popsycal Thu 27-Sep-07 13:42:05

someone posted here a chicken red lentil and cashew nut curry....i am going to try that

EmsMum Thu 27-Sep-07 13:43:56

Soup. bacon,onions, garlic,celery, bacon, tinned toms, red lentils.

(I know I put bacon in twice. Thats so veggies can omit it once and still have some bacon in it grin )
And the chicken stock if you've got it.

Twiglett Thu 27-Sep-07 13:47:51

LOL at putting bacon in twice for the vegetarians

aDad Thu 27-Sep-07 13:57:34

carmenere's spiced lentil soup...

These measures are approximate tbh. I find it probably needs a bit more stock, maybe twice as much. Up to you how thick you like it.

2 carrots, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
large piece of ginger chopped
1 chilli pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 stalk celery

Sautee the above gently in some oil for about 3-5 minutes
Then add -

a teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander
About a cupful of red lentils
a tbl spoon tomato puree

Sautee for a few more minutes and add about 1pint veg stock, cook for 20 minutes and then blend. Season.

very warming!

shrooms Thu 27-Sep-07 14:30:55

Red lentil dahl and brown rice/chapati breads?

Saute onions and garlic in a large frying pan or saucepan, till soft and only a little bit brown. Add either a good tbs or two of fave curry paste, or freshly dry fried and crushed cumin, coriander seed, garam masala, chilli powder, mustard seed. Also 1-2 tsp tomato paste. Then add the lentils and fry untill it is all mixed together for a few minutes. Then add enough water to cover. Boil for 30 minutes or till mushy. Season well/ to taste. Stir in some coconut cream and serve with boiled rice or chapatis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now