Talk

Advanced search

Best way to make coffee for a thermos flask?

(6 Posts)
SC10 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:33:02

I have just been given a thermos flask which I am looking forward to using when I go out for walks, I realised I don't know how to make the coffee to go in it - it is for 2 cup capacity - at home I use a 2 cup cafitiere but was wondering if it would be hot enough to put into the thermos after I have left it to stand for the 4 minutes required? Or do I need to only use boiling hot water straight from the kettle after it has just boiled?

OP’s posts: |
Ylvamoon Sat 04-Jul-20 09:36:47

I usually "warm up" my thermos flask with hot water while coffee/ tea is brewing.

SC10 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:52:52

Thanks for replying. I did try to Google how to do it but everything seems to be about how to make instant coffee in a thermos, but I have gone off instant now since discovering how lovely the ground coffee is, and that is what I would like to be able to take out in the thermos if possible.

borntobequiet Sat 04-Jul-20 09:56:44

As above, warm the flask with the remaining hot water from the kettle while the coffee is brewing. Incidentally, I was told some years ago that there was no need to let coffee brew in a cafetière before pressing the plunger. Pour on the (just off) boiling water, count slowly to ten, press plunger down. You get a much brighter, fresher taste that way.

borntobequiet Sat 04-Jul-20 09:57:27

I forgot to say give it a quick stir, then count to ten.

SC10 Sat 04-Jul-20 10:09:56

Oh that's a fantastic tip thank you, I didn't know that and have always waited for the full 4 minutes!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in