Talk

Advanced search

I am the only person in the world who doesn’t love blueberries?

(70 Posts)
RamblinRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 01:48:12

Well I’m not, neither me or DH can taste anything.

They look as though they should taste amazing, but I taste nothing, similarly DH. Just taste vaguely sweet.

What am I missing?

OP’s posts: |
MrsTerryPratchett Fri 19-Jun-20 01:50:00

They are so meh. But so much fruit is mass produced to be shit, we've lost perspective. I bet wild blueberries are amazing. Everything is big, watery, sweet and bland.

DramaAlpaca Fri 19-Jun-20 01:54:37

Are you buying the wrong blueberries? I love them - that sweet assault on your tastebuds when the blueberry bursts inside your mouth after you bite through the hard outer skin is just... utterly delicious. I don't have much of a sweet tooth though, so maybe I taste things sweeter than you.

Farheatarse Fri 19-Jun-20 01:57:14

I love a good blueberry. Most I find are too squishy so you don’t get that slight crunch. Sloppy blueberries are not good..

Blackdoggotmytonguestill Fri 19-Jun-20 01:57:33

Bleurgh. They taste like play doh.

Tavannach Fri 19-Jun-20 01:57:59

They're nice if you fill a chocolate eclair with them. Space them out so you don't have too many.

RamblinRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 02:09:39

I have never tasted a blueberry with any real flavour, DH agrees. Is it that we somehow lack the right tastebuds? They look as if they should taste really good.

RamblinRosie Fri 19-Jun-20 02:12:05

Play doh, yes!

Sittingontheveranda Fri 19-Jun-20 02:13:13

I felt like that about blueberries OP until I ate them with a very dry pancake. They were sweet and juicy and made my supposedly healthy pancake taste ten times better.

On their own they are meh although my children eat a lot of them.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 19-Jun-20 02:17:15

My daughter isn't a fan either.
I think they're ok, but don't rush to buy them or anything.

HappyAsASandboy Fri 19-Jun-20 02:17:19

Finally - my people!

They taste like dishwater. They should be sweet and tangy and juicy like a raspberry (I imagine!!) but they just don't taste of anything except vaguely sweet dishwater.

I am also surprised that something so insipid can ruin good things. If blueberries taste of nothing, how come they manage to make muffins taste awful?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 19-Jun-20 02:22:15

They're disappointing blackcurrants. Because the Americans needed a substitute.

AhBallix Fri 19-Jun-20 02:24:29

I don't like blueberries at all. They are bland and make me think of some sort of mild botanical perfume. My kids love them though so they're always hanging around our fridge. Bleurgh!

baubled Fri 19-Jun-20 02:39:25

They just taste like disgusting palma violets to me

Iwantcollarbones Fri 19-Jun-20 02:40:17

Strawberries are the money maker in my opinion.

Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries etc s are just, meh.

ARoseInHarlem Fri 19-Jun-20 02:40:56

Blueberries in the UK don’t taste of anything. At best, they’re sour and rock hard and need tonnes of sugar to be palatable.

Blueberries grown in New England, especially Maine, picked around this time of year are an entirely different fruit. They’re big, juicy, sweet, delicately perfumed, fruity - just amazing.

Strawberries, on the other hand. I’ve lived in many different countries, and never have I tasted strawberries as strawberry-ey as Kentish strawberries. The small, softly flavored but just heavenly strawberries. The poly tunnel grown stuff is just fibrous water in comparison.

angelcakebananabrain Fri 19-Jun-20 02:46:12

They’re horrible! I put them in smoothies so I don’t have to taste them. If I eat them as part of a fruit salad I’ll eat like five in one go then reward myself with nice fruit, then force another few blueberries down, and so on. Only because they’re good for you.

Pemba Fri 19-Jun-20 02:54:00

I agree with you, they taste of nothing much to me. I much prefer a nice strawberry, blackberry, or my favourite, raspberries. Gooseberries are tasty too, if a bit sour, you hardly ever see them now. Instead, punnets of tasteless blueberries. I know they are supposed to be good for you.

TwittleBee Fri 19-Jun-20 03:03:28

I agree! Blueberries have barely any flavour! DH and DS are obsessed with them though?

Kaathesnake Fri 19-Jun-20 03:09:02

Ugh, horrid things! I love a good sharp black currant, preferably in a pie or tart.
Luckily DP loves the blueberries so we swap and change if sharing fruit. Just do t understand the fuss over them🤷‍♀️

Chicchicchicchiclana Fri 19-Jun-20 04:05:22

Blueberries are very meh but kiwi fruit are worse!

SamSeabornforPresident Fri 19-Jun-20 04:44:41

I can take or leave them, generally (although they are amazing in pancakes) but my DDs love them. Ever since they were weaned, they just can't get enough. They shovel them in. It's weird.

Lumisade Fri 19-Jun-20 05:12:35

I agree that American blueberries, from Vaccinium corymbosum, taste awful, they are often really bland. European blueberries or bilberries (from Vaccinium myrtillus) on the other are completely delicious, grow wild in the UK and are very popular in Scandinavia (blåbär, mustikka). Definitely worth eating if you find yourself hungry in a forest!

www.wildfooduk.com/edible-wild-plants/bilberry/

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Fri 19-Jun-20 05:16:45

I think most soft fruit is bred to look but not taste good.

I had a raspberry yesterday. From the CoOP and it was tangy and not squishy. Amazing. But I hate all the plastic packaging so try not to buy

Babymabel Fri 19-Jun-20 05:20:57

Nice in a muffin! That's all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in