Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Packed lunches (i dont care how middle-class or boring it is)

(64 Posts)
Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 09:16:25

Ok, so thanks to the packed lunch certificate thingy thread I kicked my daughters lunch into touch today.
There are no longer any crisps in it, and instead of a sandwich she has some breadsticks, cheese spread, pickled onions, cucumber chunks, a slice of malt loaf and a packet of raisins.
Thing is I know I'm gonna run out of idea's by tomorrow so any advice would be gratefully received!!
Also I know it shouldn't be cheese spread but got all confused in sainsbury as to what cheese it should be, anyone help??

Troutpout Mon 24-Sep-07 09:32:13

errm...<<darts eyes from side to side looking for food police and whispers>>
what's wrong with a sandwich?

Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 09:34:20

It wasnt just a sandwich, I was being rebellious and giving her choc cake and crisps blush

Smithy Mon 24-Sep-07 09:35:01

Think sandwiches are fine - bit boring after a while maybe grin. I try and change the bread to wholemeal occasionally or do my special "club" sandwich (3 slices of bread with 2 fillings) to liven things up! Even go so far as to do round sarnies using my cookie cutter (God, I really should get out more!)

hotcrossbunny Mon 24-Sep-07 09:37:29

Pitta and humous, tortilla filled with ham and cheese, cheese and crackers, pasta salad, bagel and cream cheese...
Always seem to go down well with dd (4) when she has a packed lunch. She has school dinners though because I hate making packed lunches blush

BettySpaghetti Mon 24-Sep-07 09:37:33

We quite often make use of "leftovers" eg. deliberately cooked too much rice yesterday so DD could have rice salad in her lunchbox today (do the same with pasta too) -makes a change from bread.

Mercy Mon 24-Sep-07 09:39:17

Some ideas here lunchbox menus

Tommy Mon 24-Sep-07 09:40:26

DS2 likes a cold sausage in his.
DS1 has hummous and pita or cheese dunkers but I gather they are banned by the MN lunchbox police

grin

Mercy Mon 24-Sep-07 09:41:49

a few more ideas

Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 09:42:15

HA, Tommy, exactly why she has her own breadsticks and dip as of today.

lornaloo Mon 24-Sep-07 09:42:25

Next time you go to ikea pick up some swedish flat bread buy loads and freeze it. My ds likes it with butter and cheese rolled up so its like a sausage shape sandwich. Very yummy.

dissle Mon 24-Sep-07 09:43:14

wholemeal bread sarnies with proper cheese.
or ham
or both
i bought some of those ritz cracker thingies, shoved aa couple of them in but you can buy hovis wholemeal ones...instead of crisps.
pot of grapes
or melon
or kiwi
or all
cherry toms
apple
little tiny sausages
or scotch eggs
or throw a quiche together, a slice of that each day till its all gone..you can shove all kinds of vegies in them and they are nice cold
boxes of raisins...oooh i tell you what i bought the other day, some raisins with yoghurt on them, also pinapple bits with yogy on.
yogies are nice, i refuse to buy the fancy ones in tubes/squeezy type htings, just a bof standard nice yogy and a different little fancy posh spoon each day.(cheep n cheerful) he loves them.

lornaloo Mon 24-Sep-07 09:44:55

Dissle your making me hungry.

dissle Mon 24-Sep-07 09:46:26

hmmm am eating bar of galaxy for my brecky shock

Troutpout Mon 24-Sep-07 09:47:03

oh ok then
<<phew>>
errm .. hoummous and dips? a cold rice salad?, wraps?...anything they are prepared to eat cold really. Left overs is a good idea.
However...ds gets the piss taken out of him if he has anything other than a sandwich and also regular comments like 'aren't you allowed a cheese string'hmm..so we tend to stick to sandwiches (bless him..he's had enough of the piss taking atm) and try more adventureous fillings.

Wisteria Mon 24-Sep-07 09:55:26

RANT ALERT

What annoys me about this - and I couldn't give a %&% if I get slated is that your original lunchbox was perfectly fine IMO and I bet that overall it provided a much healthier lunch for a child than the equivalent school dinner would have done.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a child having a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar or a white bread sandwich for lunch IF they have a well balanced meal in the evening and for breakfast and they have a healthy lifestyle.

I am sick to death of schools preaching what we can give OUR children and then cutting their PE time down.

Tortington Mon 24-Sep-07 09:56:24

AMEN sista wisteria

EmilyDavidson Mon 24-Sep-07 10:02:58

how about crackers sandwiched together with philadelphia

in asda they do little one portion pots of sandwhich filler and you can use them as dips for carrot/cucumber/bread sticks. They are only 38p and there are several types

ds current favourite is pitta bread filled with tuna and grated cheese mixed together with a spoon of pizza topping (the sort you buy in a glass jar)

cold pizza is always popular

croissant ,just a plain one but also pack a chunk of cheese or a chicken leg and a piece of fruit ,I think thats fairly balanced

Wisteria Mon 24-Sep-07 10:05:05

Morning Custy and I thank you grin - that was a bit heated for me shock.

I argued this issue with our last primary school and won - ha ha!!

Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 10:11:30

wisteria, I agree her lunch was probably fine, but when I showed her this morning what I'd made she said 'wow', it was more down to laziness and not knowing what to do that I didnt give her anything else.
I have told her she can have crisps tomorrow with some pitta bread and chopped up fillings to make herself.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 24-Sep-07 10:12:36

ditto Wisteria

ds has a white bread roll (slightly more interesting for him than a sandwich so he eats it all) with ham or tuna mayo, a yoghurt, a piece of fruit (apple, banana, raisins) a drink of apple juice in a fruit shoot bottle and a packet of crisps.

Though he has stopped eating the fruit so I have told him if he doesn't eat the fruit I won't put the crisps in.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 24-Sep-07 10:15:09

I also do cold bits (mini pasty, scotch egg, carrot, cold sausage, cheese) instead of a sandwich sometimes to vary it.

TBH you could just rotate what you have done today with a sandwich - she doesn't need a completely different meal everyday and a bit of rotation will stop it getting too boring for her.

Wisteria Mon 24-Sep-07 10:20:08

That's moreorless what mine used to have cs, sometimes a choccie bar as well, but I did have gannets for children!

As they have grown up their lunchbox has dwindled (their choice) and now they tend to take a sandwich/ roll, piece of fruit and slice of home made cake/ biscuits or if feeling flush a treat.
I tried making it interesting before but they hated the fuss that the other dcs made so preferred the 'bog standard' lunch - I didn't get the chance to do all these interesting things, although may try them on some wraps this week now it's been mentioned!

Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 10:24:46

I doubt I will be making too much of a fuss, some of the fsa suggestions are just way too time consuming, but I will definitely be trying some of these ideas and mixing them up with the lunch she was used to.
Thanks everyone.

fireflyfairy2 Mon 24-Sep-07 10:24:59

My dd gets fruit at breaktime from school. We pay £2.05 a week & they get a large platter of fruit at break time to share between the class. And a small bottle of milk. She doesn't drink milk at home, but I am told she definitely does at school.

But then that leaves me a bit puzzled about what to put in her lunchbox!

I give her 2 slices of bread filled with ham/tuna/chicken, a yoghurt, 2 pieces of fruit & always something 'nice'. ie: a school bar or a bag of yoghurt covered strawberry bits.

She doesn't always eat the fruit I put in her lunchbox as she has had a lot at breaktime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now