Talk

Advanced search

Carrot cake and no cream cheese in the house

(6 Posts)
Daisydoesnt Sat 13-Jun-20 17:48:53

I’m making a carrot cake (to be eaten tomorrow) and I don’t have any cream cheese.

I do have creme fraiche though and I wonder if anyone has ever subbed that for cream cheese..... it’s a similar sharp flavour but I’m worried it’ll go runny? I cannot be bothered to have to go to the supermarket just for one item!

In the recipe it’s mixed with a little brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon

OP’s posts: |
bluefoxmug Sat 13-Jun-20 17:50:17

for the icing?

Menaimum Sat 13-Jun-20 17:53:48

Nope, you're right the consistency will be off. Try a simple buttercream using creme fraiche to let the texture down and grated orange peel for flavour and you'll get something different but still really nice.

endofthelinefinally Sat 13-Jun-20 17:54:42

You could substitute it ok, but serve it separately as a sauce. Like cream with pie.

Honeywort Sat 13-Jun-20 17:56:46

I’d think it would be too runny.. You could mix the Creme fraiche with the cinnamon & sugar and serve a dollop of it on the side with the cake (and eat the cake with forks like a pudding).

Alternatively I’d make some glacé icing flavoured either with lemon or cinnamon and use that.

Mmm I want carrot cake now!

Daisydoesnt Sat 13-Jun-20 17:58:43

Thanks so much for all the posts! And yes it was for the icing.

I’m so glad I asked I think I’ll serve it on the side instead that’s a great suggestion.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »