Talk

Advanced search

What hot drinks can I drink that I will enjoy?

(36 Posts)
runningon Tue 02-Jun-20 19:12:35

I need to drink hot drinks, I feel the cold very easily (I've had bolls tests at the Docs - nothing wrong with me, although I have started to take a good quality multi-Vit.

I would love to drink tea - but unfortunately I have a bladder issue and can't take caffeine, so I've switched to De-caf tea - which tastes horrible, so now after a lifetime of no sugar in my tea I've started taking sugar in it.
I'm just about to hit the menopause and everything/everyone tells me not to eat/drink sugar.

Please can someone off me some alternatives?
I used to love hot lemon, but I stopped drinking that because I worried about the effect on my teeth. But of course now I'm drinking sugar!

I don't really like green/fruit teas.

I like milky drinks, but I am trying to cut down dairy because of the diary industry is not something I want to support.

Has anyone got any healthy but palatable ideas?

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 02-Jun-20 19:56:06

hot malt soya milk maybe? recipe here. it is sweetened with honey, rather than sugar

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Tue 02-Jun-20 20:00:35

The Sainsbo's decaf Earl grey is lovely.

You could make chai with decaf tea, vegan 'milk' and spices - it would mask the taste of the tea a bit and cinnamon etc mean you need no/little sugar.

june2007 Tue 02-Jun-20 20:01:38

Cuppa soup. Hot blackcurrent, Hot honey and lemon. Lemon and ginger tea, peppermint tea.

Wheresmycider Tue 02-Jun-20 20:03:07

Try redbush tea, naturally caffine free. Better than decaff regular tea.

Strawberrypancakes Tue 02-Jun-20 20:03:35

Soup is a good idea. I really feel the cold, I sometimes wear three pairs of tights to work grin but I hate tea and coffee.. I’ve made a stock cube broth before and taken it in a flask and it’s been a lifesaver to feeling warm inside.

NannyR Tue 02-Jun-20 20:06:09

Redbush tea - you can get it flavoured with vanilla or earl grey. I don't like fruit teas much as I think they smell delicious but taste really flat and disappointing, but I enjoy the more herbal types of tea like peppermint, camomile, spicy chai, liquorice.

ClientQ Tue 02-Jun-20 20:07:09

These are caffeine free
https://birdandblendtea.com/uk_en/tea/type/rooibos-tea.html

ClientQ Tue 02-Jun-20 20:09:53

This isn't the cheapest but is lovely
https://www.teapigs.co.uk/products/lemon-and-ginger

And if you like cinnamon type stuff you can drink this with or without milk, I'm addicted!
https://www.teapigs.co.uk/products/spiced-winter-red-tea

Or this? I'm not a liquorice fan but I believe it's really nice
https://www.teapigs.co.uk/products/liquorice-and-mint

Roselilly36 Tue 02-Jun-20 20:10:43

Pukka Organic 3 mint tea, is really lovely, so refreshing.

purplecorkheart Tue 02-Jun-20 20:12:23

I would try different decaf teas if you can. I drink Barry decaf (Ireland) took me a while to fine the right one for me. You could consider ribena or squash hot. There are some decaf coffees out there that are good. Cup a soup is another option but I would be check the sodium level in them. Would you consider making homemade veg/chicken broth and freeze it into mug size portions? Handy way to use up veg trimming chicken bones etc. Add a dash of soya sauce, sesame oil etc for flavour on reheating .

Borridge Tue 02-Jun-20 20:14:03

How about just hot water? I do this when I am caffeined out after having seen it a lot in China.

Borridge Tue 02-Jun-20 20:15:10

Or ovomaltine/milo with water instead of milk.

FirstOfMyNameMotherOfCats Tue 02-Jun-20 20:18:05

I recommend skinny syrups instead of artificial sweetener or sugar - there are lots of nice spicy or vanilla or nutty flavours, which make my black coffee more palatable but I think they'd work well with the chai type teas. Also Turkish shops sell nice cinnamon or lemon or hibiscus tea (this is a bit like cranberry)

Borridge Tue 02-Jun-20 20:21:54

Or mint, ginger and (optional) lemon.

ItsSpittingEverybodyIn Tue 02-Jun-20 20:24:53

Another one that came to say Redbush tea, it's delicious and really good for you.

yikesanotherbooboo Tue 02-Jun-20 20:25:12

Do you avoid Bovril? It's very warming.
Hot chocolate and Horlivka can be made with non dairy milks. I like mint and camomile teas . DS likes licorice and peppermint , it has a sweetness without sugar rather oddly.

amusedtodeath1 Tue 02-Jun-20 20:30:03

I was the same went from normal to decaf and now I mainly drink rooibos vanilla tea, I get mine from Tesco (tiktok) or another brand online, dragonfly I think it's called.

Eckhart Tue 02-Jun-20 20:36:38

superfood-market.com/products/te431-tick-tock-green-rooibos-organic-1-x-40-bags?variant=34304781222023¤cy=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_-HijvDj6QIVS7DtCh1PHgXPEAQYASABEgLpfPD_BwE

This is nice. It's not like normal green tea, it doesn't go bitter. I just have it plain (no milk/sugar), and it's lovely.

Eckhart Tue 02-Jun-20 20:37:13

Gosh that's a big link.

CoconutBreath Tue 02-Jun-20 20:39:30

Redbush tea is nice or hot water with lemon and ginger

beela Tue 02-Jun-20 20:41:36

This is my favourite tea shop. The rainbow rooibos is amazing.

goldenmonkeyteacompany.co.uk/

Cheeseycheeseycheesecheese Tue 02-Jun-20 20:44:26

Butterbeer?
I've got 3 recipes somewhere, hot, cold and alcoholic.

chouxfleur Tue 02-Jun-20 20:45:41

I like Barleycup. It's like non-sweet ovaltine. You mix it with hot water then add a dash of cow milk/ vegan milk. You can get it from Holland and Barrett or other health food shops.

RoomR0613 Tue 02-Jun-20 20:46:32

Hot Ribena?

I also enjoy valerian tea but it can make you feel a bit woozy

What is it about the dairy industry is putting you off? UK milk is pretty high welfare?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »