Talk

Advanced search

Why do our rice crispie cakes always go soggy?!

(15 Posts)
Notquitegrownup Fri 21-Sep-07 13:28:45

<Completely pathetic cook emoticon>

I can cook other things, honest, but ds wants to melt some chocolate and mix in sultanas and rice crispies to make "cakes". We've tried, and they go soggy. What can we be doing wrong?!

Lucewheel Sun 23-Sep-07 17:45:10

Try adding some butter when melting the chocolate and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge smile

InMyHumbleOpinion Sun 23-Sep-07 17:46:16

It's the moisture in the sultanas. try using dark chocolate too.

Nat1H Sun 23-Sep-07 21:55:11

Why don't you mix the rice crispies and chocolate together and sprinkle the sultanas over the top?

unknownrebelbang Sun 23-Sep-07 21:56:19

You're not eating them quick enough. wink

unknownrebelbang Sun 23-Sep-07 21:57:10

Sorry, that wasn't helpful, but we do what you do, and I've never had that problem.

willowsmom Sat 29-Sep-07 16:24:47

Sounds like you're missing out the golden syrup to stick them together.

shrooms Sat 29-Sep-07 18:51:36

Maybe you are using too much chocolate to rice crispies. You really only want enough to coat the rice crispies - you just have to be patient and stir it really well. That's why they're good for child labour... mwahahahaha

mylittlefreya Sat 29-Sep-07 19:01:25

How fresh are the rice krispies???

Jolinda Fri 14-Apr-17 19:22:12

Thank goodness someone else suffers this problem. I just googled how to make crispy cakes that don't go soggy and this came up. Not sure any of you have solved my problem though as I don't use raisins and they go soggy.
I too can make allsorts of other cakes.

Rattata Sat 15-Apr-17 18:21:15

Agree with above about chocolate to crispie ratio. Too much chocolate and they go soggy. I just use melted chocolate (no other ingredients) and keep adding rice crispies until they still stick - don't make the cakes too big - fairy cake/bun cases - not muffin case sized are best. Cool them quickly.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 15-Apr-17 18:25:16

Dont bother with chocolate, butter and golden syrup just melt mars bars instead. Sprinkle icing sugar in the base before pouring the mixture into the tin/cases to help it not stick.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sat 15-Apr-17 18:46:36

Golden syrup and cocoa for us, no idea about quantities, I just heat the syrup, stir in cocoa till the mix is nice and dark, stir in as many rice krispies as you can, keep adding more till they are just holding together in clumps.

MsHippo Sat 15-Apr-17 18:58:06

Our fail-proof recipe: a tablespoon each of butter, cocoa, golden syrup and sugar. Melt together. Stir in rice krispies until they are only just covered - this amount take LOTS. Divvy up into cases. Multiply up as necessary,

ThornyBird Sat 15-Apr-17 19:00:42

We do non chocolate rice crispie cakes - equal amounts of toffee, butter and marshmallows. Melt in pan, add same quantity of rice crispies. For a large tray we use 200g of each wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now