Talk

Advanced search

Stew Dumplings with Brown Sugar or Golden Syrup?

(8 Posts)
YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 30-May-20 10:42:31

Is this just me, or does anyone else remember having stew with dumplings and having the dumplings as the main course with brown sugar or syrup? The dumplings (made from suet) would be lifted from the stew and put in a pudding bowl and sprinkled with sugar (I always preferred sugar). We'd have them as a first course (so no one wanted much stew and it went two nights). Mentioned this to my DP and he made a face. My Mum from the South, his from the North if that makes any difference. Parents now deceased or in their 80s-90s and this happened when I was little in the 60s and 70s.

OP’s posts: |
BlueCowWonders Sat 30-May-20 13:23:04

Sounds a similar idea to having Yorkshires with gravy before a roast to fill you up. Then with golden syrup as a pudding if there were any leftovers.
But I haven't heard of dumplings eaten like this

TheSandgroper Sat 30-May-20 14:02:31

My recipe is for dumplings cooked in a golden syrup sauce. I’ve never heard of dumplings coming off a stew and having sugar put onto them. Wouldn’t that mix gravy with the sugar syrup?

DartmoorChef Sat 30-May-20 14:14:37

Im from lancashire. Dumplings stayed in the stew.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 30-May-20 15:18:10

Ive seen recipes for dumplings cooked in golden syrup but never tried it.

Bloodybridget Sun 31-May-20 02:25:38

Never had dumplings removed from a stew and eaten with sugar before the rest of the meal! But we did have suet pudding; that was a solid log of suet crust, tied in a cloth and boiled, then sliced and eaten hot with golden syrup. After the main course, usually on a Sunday after a roast (that was the only day we had a pudding). London in 50s/60s, both parents Londoners.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 31-May-20 08:28:35

Oh, dear. Maybe it was just me! It was actually really nice. The brown sugar actually made the gravy that stuck to the dumpling taste really nice. I think it was the Yorkshire Pud concept ...

We had suet pudding too!

OP’s posts: |
ArriettyJones Sun 31-May-20 08:31:44

I remember being given Yorkshire puddings with stewed fruit and sugar as a dessert. So similar kind of idea, I suppose.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »