Talk

Advanced search

Leeks for leek haters

(21 Posts)
jcurve Wed 27-May-20 13:56:27

My veggie box gave me two enormous leeks this week. My other half hates them & I’m not really a fan.

Any idea what we can we do with them that disguises the taste? Last time we made a leek & kale lasagne and ended up binning the leftovers on the same night as we knew we couldn’t bring ourselves to eat it again.

OP’s posts: |
RaininSummer Wed 27-May-20 13:57:56

Thay are lovely sautéed in butter or steamed and put under macaroni cheese or cauliflower cheese.

BrieAndChilli Wed 27-May-20 13:59:07

Leek and potato soup

Finfintytint Wed 27-May-20 13:59:19

To be honest, I’d offer them up as a swap for something else with a neighbour.

StrawberryPi Wed 27-May-20 14:01:22

Rather than making something specifically leek-y you can just chop them finely and use them in place of onion in any kind of sauce/soup/stew.

LadyLooLaa Wed 27-May-20 14:04:33

Tbf I love them but I’m not sure a leek and kale lasagne would float my boat either! As PP said you could use them in place of onions.
Or mix them (cooked) with cheese sauce with some Chicken and ham (if you aren’t a veggie) and a good bit of whole grain mustard and serve with mash. Bit wintery but delicious.

TheFlis12345 Wed 27-May-20 14:10:58

I put them in cauliflower cheese.

Janek Wed 27-May-20 14:22:29

The Happy Pear chilli recipe uses leeks. That's how we use them up and you can't taste them!!!

MotherForkinShirtBalls Wed 27-May-20 14:25:05

We do leek, bacon and chicken in white sauce here and it's delish.

OnceUponAThread Wed 27-May-20 14:27:15

Leeks are great in a chicken pie. Also wonderful in pasta sauces. Chop em small and fry in butter then add bacon or chicken. Then a dash of cream and pasta. Maybe spinach or peas. Perfection. They don't really taste leek-y, and they'll be nicely softened.

Or as PP said, use in place of onion in lots of recipes.

Or send them to me!

AngusThermopyle Wed 27-May-20 14:28:00

Leek, potato and cheese pasties.

AriettyHomily Wed 27-May-20 14:32:40

Leek and Kale lasagne - not sure I'd be attempting that one😂😂

Leek and cheese top shepherds pie
Old school but wrapped in ham in cheese sauce baked
I used to make a cheese and leek puff pastry tart thing
Or I'd just chop finely and use in place of onion

handbagsatdawn33 Wed 27-May-20 19:02:54

Just use them as onions, or do you hate onions as well?

chocolatesaltyballs22 Wed 27-May-20 19:04:13

Finely chop and use in a risotto instead of onions. Leeks with bacon or chicken are good.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 27-May-20 19:06:57

I slice them vertically and then shred them long ways and add to stir fries.

picklemewalnuts Wed 27-May-20 19:07:31

Shred them and cook them gently in a splash of apple juice and butter.

They soften beautifully and are delicious. Allow plenty of time, 30mins or more.

Undercooked leeks have little merit.

Elouera Wed 27-May-20 19:10:58

Do you eat onions? leeks are just a milder onion, so as others have said, can be used in anything an onion would be. I can easily be hidden and pureed into a soup if you really can taste them is other things. Otherwise, can you swap with a neighbour?

GrannyHaddock Wed 27-May-20 20:42:24

Soften in butter, add flour, cook a bit, gradually add milk used for poaching fish, add to poached fish, maybe some peas, top with mashed potato, dot with butter, bake in oven; fish pie.

ouch321 Wed 27-May-20 20:43:39

Chicken and leek pie
In a beef stew

bluefoxmug Wed 27-May-20 20:47:29

saute them in a little butter. add some white wine & cream

or you could make soup.
or use them instead of onions in whatever you usually cook.

wash them well to remove sand from between the layers.

jcurve Mon 01-Jun-20 18:39:26

Thank you everyone. I briefly contemplated confitting the leeks but took the easy route out & finely diced the hateful things into a stir fry.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »