Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian roast ideas

(29 Posts)
partofyoupoursoutofme Mon 25-May-20 13:45:23

We had a fab roast dinner yesterday with no meat but a big cauliflower cheese instead. I am not a fan of meat replacements like quorn, but would love to hear your ideas for meat free roast dinner. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Mon 25-May-20 13:55:18

Lentil loaf
Mushroom wellingtons
Root veg gratin

partofyoupoursoutofme Mon 25-May-20 18:49:11

Thanks! Have you got a good recipe for the lentil loaf?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 25-May-20 18:52:23

Big mushrooms stuffed with Stilton (some veggies might not want to eat that though) and walnuts.

Stuffed butternut squash.

Celeriac gratin.

Pie

partofyoupoursoutofme Mon 25-May-20 18:55:24

Celeriac gratin! Sounds lovely

guineapig1 Mon 25-May-20 19:35:38

Sweet potato and spinach bake - layer sweet potato, spinach and red onions and pour over crushed garlic and bay infused cream then bake in the oven for 45 mins

Crumbly nut roast with a roast veg gravy

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 25-May-20 21:38:30

Red onion tarte tatin

AdaColeman Mon 25-May-20 21:48:25

Stuffed marrow, with rice, tomatoes & mushrooms for instance.

Selection of stuffed vegetables, peppers, aubergine, tomatoes.

Layered vegetable bake with cheese.

AdaColeman Mon 25-May-20 21:53:41

Savoury crumble, cheese & leek with nuts in the topping, ratatouille with a cheesy crumble topping, mushrooms in a creamy sauce with flaked almonds in the topping.

BuffaloCauliflower Mon 25-May-20 22:00:29

Tbh I don’t necessarily need a ‘main’ - lots of roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, veg, yorkshire pud, stuffing balls, gravy.... that is a very good meal all by itself.

Slydiad Mon 25-May-20 23:22:25

Savory bread pudding if you have any bread that's going stale. I did one the other week with caramelized onions, sautéed cabbage, gruyere, and just a little bit of caraway & cumin thrown in that turned out great.

PorpentiaScamander Mon 25-May-20 23:24:24

DS1 always chooses to have Linda McCartney pulled pork burgers with his roast. He's odd though grin

myfurloughedfriend Mon 25-May-20 23:31:56

Quorn family roast - it looks like a big fat sausage of pate in the oven, but when it's sliced up it was very like chicken (especially with gravy).

DS is vegi and although we aren't we are eating less and less meat, and this meal I really enjoyed.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 26-May-20 00:12:00

Holy cow vegan has a great mushroom and lentil wellington recipe

lastqueenofscotland Tue 26-May-20 00:12:25

Also it’s in one of the Leon books, they have a nut roast with Stilton in it, it is DIVINE

anxietrist Tue 26-May-20 11:06:04

Clives do nice but roasts and pies

theneverendinglaundry Tue 26-May-20 20:26:35

DH and I always share a Higgidy feta and butternut squash pie...I'd be interested to actually make something similar but I'm too lazy!

GemmeFatale Fri 29-May-20 11:15:57

I had a lovely chestnut and mushrooms wellington at a pub a while back

partofyoupoursoutofme Sat 30-May-20 09:24:48

Lovely ideas, thanks everyone! I will be trying the celariac gratin, savory crumble and savory bread pudding ideas first!

winterisstillcoming Sat 30-May-20 09:31:45

Red onion and balsamic gravy is delicious as well.

Caramelise some red onion on a flat pan. Add cornflour and veg stock. A good glug of balsamic, some red wine if you have some and a good turn on the mill of salt and pepper.

BikeRunSki Sat 30-May-20 09:34:24

my go to nut roast recipe

Gunpowder Sat 30-May-20 10:56:04

This thread is making me hungry!!!

MrBennsshop Sat 30-May-20 11:01:01

This is a really lovely loaf to have with a roast dinner. It has over 300 fantastic reviews, which is why I tried it and they weren't wrong. realfood.tesco.com/recipes/nut-roast.html

Allinadaystwerk Sat 30-May-20 11:06:46

I want to eat all if these ideas. I often roast cauliflower seasoned with Caribbean flavours or sage and onion stuffed mushrooms with cheese on top

EvilPea Sat 30-May-20 11:12:36

As I live in a house with carnivores I just have the sides. I used to do a cheese, spinach and leek pastry bake with mine. But now I just make sure I have lots of sides.
So cheesy kale and leeks (could be cauliflower cheese and or broccoli)
Roasted carrots
Stuffing
Red cabbage
Yorkshire’s
Roast potatoes
Carrot and swede mash.

Think that’s it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »