Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy US orange (cheddar? ) cheese in uk?

(15 Posts)
ifoughtforliberty Sun 24-May-20 13:40:10

I have tried googling but I've not been too successful. I'm trying to find out if you can buy that American orange grated cheese that I've seen on fries and salads over there in the UK? Do we have a close equivalent?

OP’s posts: |
Longdistance Sun 24-May-20 13:43:28

Red Leicester?

NameChange84 Sun 24-May-20 13:45:18

I’m guessing it would be Coloured Cheddar or Red Leicester. Available in all major supermarkets.

handbagsatdawn33 Sun 24-May-20 17:10:18

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese

My American friends spend a lot of money buying proper UK & French cheeses !

Thisismytimetoshine Sun 24-May-20 17:12:41

^^. American cheese is basically Easy Slices! Or whatever that processed pre sliced crap is called nowadays.

Thisismytimetoshine Sun 24-May-20 17:15:39

Easy singles...

sarahlovescake79 Sun 24-May-20 17:17:45

I think this is the stuff this is what I think of when I think American orange cheese

itsanotherdayinparadise Sun 24-May-20 17:18:47

Why on earth would any want to willingly part money for what the Americans call cheese? There are so many amazing varieties of actual real cheese, (not the processed American crap, ) that is on our doorstep, locally produced or imported from Neighbouring countries

PineappleUpsideDownCake Sun 24-May-20 17:20:32

I was thinking why would you? Kraft singles?

sleepyhead Sun 24-May-20 17:30:27

Isn't American Cheese processed cheese?

Try the cheapest, mildest plastic ready grated supermarket cheddar or smush together a pack of Kraft Singles and try to grate them?

Menaimum Sun 24-May-20 17:30:31

If you're melting do half cheap mild cheddar & half red Leicester to replicate the (not my preferred) sweet claggy flavour and colour.
Really it's just mild cheddar with red food colouring.
"Processed chees-ish food" is what we laughingly called Kraft singles and Velveeta growing up.

ChipotleBlessing Sun 24-May-20 17:51:24

Are you thinking of Monterey Jack?

ifoughtforliberty Sun 24-May-20 18:19:06

@itsanotherdayinparadise I'm trying to replicate one of dd's favourite dishes that she has in the US. It usually comes with a very orange cheese grated over it. I think it is probably processed. I will buy some Red Leicester though as that's probably a good shout. Thank you.

ifoughtforliberty Sun 24-May-20 18:20:08

@handbagsatdawn33 thank you for that link I think it's Colby!

itsanotherdayinparadise Sun 24-May-20 19:57:50

I think that's a lovely idea trying to replicate a favourite dish from the US. Trying that ourselves!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »