Talk

Advanced search

What do I ask the butcher for?

(11 Posts)
BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 15:40:11

Hi,

We usually only eat fish or chicken meals at home as I'm not a fan of red meat.

My 16 yo DS had his army college plans scrapped due to the virus and has got a job working for Tesco call centre, he works really hard and is uncomplaining about some of the abuse he takes over the phone (I also wfh).

DS is a big red meat fan and of course I will cook him good quality steaks when finances allow but recently he has been saying that he misses roast beef and the trimmings which he will order if we eat out.

I've decided to go to the butcher today, well in the next half hour, and I'm going to try and cook a roast for him, but suddenly realised I have absolutely no idea what to ask the butcher for. Do I just say I'm looking to make roast beef? And they will help? Arg!! I don't want to look like a 45 yo idiot in the shop. Can anyone help?

Gingernaut Sat 23-May-20 15:41:34

www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/beef

PawPatrolMakesMeDrink Sat 23-May-20 15:42:32

I’d just ask for the butchers advice. They’re the ones in the know. You want a piece of beef, for roasting, and for X amount of people. Ask what temp and for how long as well. Our butcher is always happy to advise.

BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 15:48:44

Thank you both. I just want to cheer him up by cooking something he really likes

BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 16:03:03

Well I forgot to say beef haha. Went in and asked for a big enough piece of meat for roasting for 4 thank you. Pork lamb or beef? He chuckled I went red, explained I'm an eejit and they were great and have given me a bit of suet for basting and I've to let them know how I get on 😁

8Track Sat 23-May-20 16:30:21

They sound brilliant. I agree, that's a great way to ask - I'm always happy to have something different to normal, and have found some great cuts this way. Bavette steak! Hope you have a brill roast - report back to us too, please!

BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 16:34:38

I will do!!

Blueuggboots Sat 23-May-20 16:45:18

Slow cook - brisket
Roast - rib of beef. Can't beat a nice rib! It's not cheap mind.

BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 19:04:59

Ok so, I enjoyed it, I actually did. DS the red meat eater in the house said "it's not the colour I expected it to be but it's moist" lol!!

The gravy was a complete disaster. I'd cut carrots and onion to roast under the roast itself but just incase I didn't like it I added loads of potatoesand asparagus too, I even tried the purple violetta potatoes I saw in Tesco (they were fine). And I sautés some shittake mushrooms.

The bbc recipe said to take the onions and juice and a tablespoon of flour and add beef stock, it was a bit of a disaster but because I am a complete heathen I cover my yorkie in vinegar so it didn't bother me, DS and DP were kind about it.

DP, who on my return from my butcher trip announced he didn't like roast beef, had his cut his very thinly and he said it was good and he'd have it again maybe once a month.

DS decided that he would have the leftover on sandwiches tomorrow however DDog had other ideas and stole the left overs from the worktop, he's in the bad books!

So all in all everybody enjoyed it and DS is having salad sandwiches tomorrow! Thank you all for your help!!

PawPatrolMakesMeDrink Sat 23-May-20 21:43:35

That looks completely delicious, I love all the roasted veggies in there too.
Would happily let you cook it for me!

BluebellsareBlue Sat 23-May-20 21:50:52

Thank you so much! Was a bit nervous posting my pics in this topic because of all the wonderful things I see posted here! When this is all over you can come to me in Scotland and I'll cook for you!! Lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »