Talk

Advanced search

Talk me through tray bakes

(16 Posts)
plainflower Sat 23-May-20 13:16:09

I've never made a tray bake!! I keep seeing people taking about them quite a lot on here but I have no idea where to even start. Does anyone have any tips and tricks, what ingredients I can use, what temperature to cook it on and how long for, etc.?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 23-May-20 13:26:02

A lot of traybakes dont require cooking and some consist of chocolate and crushed biscuits, dried fruit, etc

Ricekrispie22 Sat 23-May-20 14:00:43

Do you mean the sweet or savoury kind?

Ninkanink Sat 23-May-20 14:11:01

Depends if you mean sweet or savoury or both.

I don’t make sweet tray bakes but I used to do a lot of traybake dinners when my girls were younger. Delicious and convenient.

TheHighestSardine Sat 23-May-20 14:27:49

Grab yourself this - www.amazon.co.uk/Roasting-Tin-Simple-Dish-Dinners/dp/1910931519/?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Tray bakes are the best.

plainflower Sat 23-May-20 18:44:35

Oops! Should have specified  I meant savoury such as chicken tray bakes and similar! Thank you @TheHighestSardine, will have a look!

SinkGirl Sat 23-May-20 18:46:31

Love this one
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lemon-oregano-chicken-traybake

dementedpixie Sat 23-May-20 18:50:29

The hairy bikers does a nice spanish chicken dish

dementedpixie Sat 23-May-20 18:51:44

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spanish-style-chicken-bake

Aurorie11 Sat 23-May-20 18:56:53

Have a look at this thread
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/3527870-Which-is-the-tastiest-Protestant-traybake?msgid=86529145#86529145

handbagsatdawn33 Sat 23-May-20 19:29:29

It's the easiest meal when you're having a CBA day.
The Hairy Bikers chicken is a good example to follow & adapt.

Just work out the timings, pre-heat the tray, add oil, add ingredients at the right intervals.
e.g. spuds for an hour, then 20-25 mins later add chicken or pork + onions, peppers & other roastable veg, plus herbs etc.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 23-May-20 20:21:42

Jamie Oliver does a chicken and butternut peanut butter spicy delicious thing, it's so nice. I've made it so much that I can't actually remember what it was called..... but it's pretty much this:

Chicken thighs, cubes of butternut squash, onion in a tray. Make a paste out of peanut butter, chilli, garlic, lime, lemongrass, coriander. I add soy sauce and fish sauce. Blitz to a paste. Spread it over the chicken in the Morning, wrap with tinfoil. Then when you get in from work, put it in the oven for about 45 minutes. It's delicious.

plainflower Sat 23-May-20 20:26:47

Thanks a lot everyone! Can't wait to try one now grin

Ninkanink Sat 23-May-20 20:44:20

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/family-traybake

www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/family/easy-traybake-recipes/

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/collections/tray-bake-recipes/

formerbabe Sat 23-May-20 21:48:57

I make traybakes for dinner a lot...quick to prep and oven does the work really.

I like

Sausages, halved new potatoes, red onion, peppers, cherry tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Pork chops, sliced potatoes, parsnips/leeks and slices of apple. I mix olive oil with mustard and drizzle over.

Chicken with any type of veg, drizzle with honey and lemon

They're all pretty versatile...use whatever you have in the fridge really!

Sometimes I just do roasted veg with feta or halloumi.

Bouledeneige Sat 23-May-20 21:53:12

I was thinking savoury tray bakes and I'd say that Jamie Oliver is the king of them. I do a lovely salmon, asparagus and brocolli one of his from 30 minute dinners. You can add or subtract from the recipes. My older teens love them too. also nice serving ones on chopping boards too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »