Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about beef wellington

(33 Posts)
wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 19:51:10

Have a lovely fillet for 2, never made Wellington before. It's a birthday dinner. Should I use pancake or prosciutto? Pate or not? Porcini as well as other mushrooms? I can't settle on one recipe over another. Should I buy Marsala for the gravy?

inwood Thu 21-May-20 19:52:00

It's really difficult to get right!

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 19:58:47

My oven can be patchy @inwood so that's not going to help us it!

StrawberryPi Thu 21-May-20 20:27:55

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/dec/08/how-to-cook-perfect-beef-wellington

I've never made beef Wellington but I rate this series of "perfect" recipes so I reckon it's worth a try!

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 20:38:59

Me too @StrawberryPi, Felicity has seen me right on a number of occasions!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 21-May-20 20:45:53

This is good - have made it quite a bit and the gravy is good too - www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-wellington/

Bit confused about the reference to pancake. Is that a typo?

ThisNameisaKeeper Thu 21-May-20 20:46:09

It's probably hard to get right "properly" but in a way I also think with those lovely ingredients how can you really go wrong?!

DH and I have a modified version which we loved - we just use two rib eyes or sirloins (one each - well browned first) then follow recipe with the onions, mushrooms, Parma ham and pate (yes definitely pate, chicken liver!) and the pastry

It's not correct in that obviously the steaks are miles thinner than fillet and so aren't really pink in the middle (just a little) but we don't care and we love it. We're normally rare steak eaters but it's worth it for all the other delicious bits

Yum 😋 your's with fillet steak will probably be even better

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 20:54:30

No @Gobbolinothewitchscat but I was surprised too! This is Jamie's other recipe with spinach pancake. I saw him make it on the Friday night show. Mary Berry was a guest that night and she commented how she'd forgotten all about using pancakes in beef well!

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-wellington-for-two/

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 20:56:01

I'd happily make it with any steak @ThisNameisaKeeper! Yours sounds delicious

dellacucina Thu 21-May-20 21:00:02

I have made this once. I made the duxelles and used pate. I personally would omit the cured pork layer and the pancakes, which seem like overegging the pudding (and I would worry that the pancakes might get claggy).

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 21:03:23

Thanks @dellacucina. I am veering away from the pancake and prosciutto but liking the idea of chicken liver pate with the duxelle. The first Jamie recipe posted used chicken livers. Cheers!

dellacucina Thu 21-May-20 21:07:10

Yes, I think what works really well is the contrast of the crispy pastry against the unctuous layer of mushrooms and pate, with the tender meat inside. I would worry about messing up that nice experience with other chewy layers

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 21-May-20 21:07:58

I hate savoury pancakes so I personally wouldn't do that one

wipeyourpawsplease Thu 21-May-20 21:11:21

Agree Della and Gobbo, the pancake might be very chewy. I'll save them for my lemons and sugar!

grey12 Fri 22-May-20 01:25:02

I have used Lorraine Pascal recipe. It's very good!! It's individual portion style

Tartyflette Fri 22-May-20 01:34:58

I don't get what the pancake is actually for, unless it's to stop the pastry from getting soggy.
The duxelles and pâté should protect the meat from overcooking. But i like the idea of wrapping it in parma ham, or perhaps wafer thin slices of pancetta..

ThisNameisaKeeper Fri 22-May-20 08:13:27

No to the pancake, yes to the Parma or prosciutto for us! And duxelle and pate

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 22-May-20 08:15:15

I don't think I've ever had beef wellington. It's not something that would appeal to my husband at all, unfortunately, and given it's (a) expensive and (b) tricky I've therefore never tackled it. I don't recall seeing it on restaurant menus either - or have I just not noticed it? Is it something that could be scaled down to cook for one? If so, I'd possibly make it for myself some time when he's out or I could give him something else. It sounds really, really delicious.

(I can well imagine it can't be scaled down because you need a big hunk of meat inside the pastry to be sure it won't be like shoe leather all the way through by the time the pastry's cooked.)

ThisNameisaKeeper Fri 22-May-20 08:19:15

@Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g see my post above re using rib eye - it's totally different really and probably a travesty to a chef but really delicious. You won't get the pinkness as with a much thicker fillet steak of course.

Still expensive if you are buying pastry, Parma ham and pate etc but if you are incorporating it into other recipes it may not be so bad

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 22-May-20 08:19:19

Ah, I see @grey12 has already said it is possible - looks like this recipe. www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mini_beef_wellingtons_12665 I think I may have a go at this for a birthday dinner in a few weeks' time.

dellacucina Fri 22-May-20 08:19:30

@Gasp0de I made single serving beef wellington! It worked great.

ThisNameisaKeeper Fri 22-May-20 08:19:57

Not quite like leather but admittedly only a hint of pink inside. It does need to be well browned so fat rendered etc first

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 22-May-20 08:22:25

Thanks, @ThisNameisaKeeper, I hadn't picked up that your version made individual wellingtons too. I'll mull this over!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 22-May-20 08:24:18

More encouragement - thanks, @dellacucina!

Pomegranatemolasses Fri 22-May-20 14:21:41

I did beef wellington for Christmas this year. I didn't use pancakes (this got bad reviews online). I used parma ham and a really rich duxelle with porcini mushrooms added. There are a few tips to make it easier. You need to put it into a very hot oven, chilled from the bridge. This means the beef won't overcook while the pastry browns.

Marsala would be delicious in the gravy. I also used some in the duxelle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »