Talk

Advanced search

Nice sticky chicken / bbq marinade

(15 Posts)
Littleshortcake Wed 20-May-20 20:54:00

I would love to have a go to easy bbq marinade. I tried one tonight with orange juice, soy, honey and garlic cloves. It was lovely but too liquidy and I want one that's paste like (like something you would get in TGI Fridays)

Thanks so much for any tips

OP’s posts: |
attackedbycritters Wed 20-May-20 20:56:26

Tomatoe purée rather than orange juice? Bit of mustard

Littleshortcake Wed 20-May-20 21:00:20

Thank You attacked. I need to try a few combinations. That sounds good.

DeeplyMovingExperience Wed 20-May-20 21:00:59

Tomato ketchup, worcester sauce, soy sauce, mustard. You can add a dash of sherry if you have it.

Littleshortcake Wed 20-May-20 21:23:28

I have sherry! Lots of it from Christmas

TomNook Wed 20-May-20 21:23:51

Go to a supermarket. Buy one.

pastabest Wed 20-May-20 21:27:46

I don't have an exact recipe but I usually use a combination of ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, honey Chinese 5 spice and a splash of orange or apple juice if it needs slightly longer to cook. For bbq sauce use paprika instead of Chinese 5 spice.

Honey or sweet chilli is always the main component if you want it to be sticky.

StavrosFlatley Wed 20-May-20 21:33:28

Soy sauce, marmalade, garlic, ginger and honey

LifeInAHamsterWheel Wed 20-May-20 21:58:07

This is the recipe I use, think it's a Martha Stewart one, but anyways it's delish on chicken, ribs, burgers, sausages etc. And it keeps for ages in the fridge.

3/4 cup tomato ketchup
2 tbls light brown sugar
1 tbls white wine vinegar
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix everything. That's it smile

Littleshortcake Wed 20-May-20 23:14:55

I appreciate the recipes. Thank You!

tobee Wed 20-May-20 23:16:38

Sorry to butt in but how do you stop it burning? Is it just putting foil on top?

pastabest Thu 21-May-20 00:05:29

Personally I think it needs to 'burn' to go sticky. I usually start off with foil and then remove it for the last 30-45 mins to go sticky for ribs. With something like chicken legs/wings I wouldn't use foil at all.

tobee Thu 21-May-20 03:00:59

I like a bit of colour but it usually goes totally blank and charred cinders if I'm not careful! blushSeems to be the sugar.

LifeInAHamsterWheel Thu 21-May-20 08:11:25

I don't put it on until the food is nearly cooked. Then I brush (lots of it) on and turn and then same on other side.

If I use it like a marinade I scrape most of it off before cooking and then brush on again as above.

tobee Thu 21-May-20 13:36:57

That sounds like the solution! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »