Talk

Advanced search

Quick help needed. PLEASE does anyone have a cake recipe that doesn't require a beater?

(11 Posts)
worriermum Tue 18-Sep-07 14:44:23

My beater has just died on me and I promised DS we'd bake a birthday cake now. Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't require an electric beater or aching arm muscles ?

MaryBleedinPoppins Tue 18-Sep-07 14:47:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PandaG Tue 18-Sep-07 14:53:10

what about banana muffins?

mash 3 or 4 bananas

stir in 1/3 cup melted butter, then 1 cup sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1 tsp vanilla. fold in 1.5 cups pl flour, 1 tsp baking soad and a pinch of salt.

bake in loaf tin - 1 hour 350 F, or same temp 20 mins as muffins

Kbear Tue 18-Sep-07 14:55:40

if the butter is soft you can make pretty much any cake by hand with a wooden spoon. Your arm will feel like it's dropping off by the end of it but it will taste the same grin

MrsBadger Tue 18-Sep-07 14:58:14

Cook in advance chocolate cake (coutresy of enid)
stays moist for at least 3 days
Preheat oven to 180C
Grease and line deep round cake tin or two 7" sandwich tins
In one bowl, mix:
1 Tblspn white vinegar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 cup cold coffee (hot coffee will scramble the eggs) or orange juice
In another, big bowl, mix:
2 cups plain flour
13/4 (one and three quarters) cup caster sugar
half a cup of cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp bicarb

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well until fully combined. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 45 mins. Leave in tin until quite cold then turn out.

worriermum Tue 18-Sep-07 14:58:34

It has to be a bleeding cake - it's for a birthday. Do you think I can turn the muffin recipe into a cake one if I bung the mixture into one big tin?

MrsBadger Tue 18-Sep-07 15:01:25

(yes you can - enid's recipe below is more or less chocolate muffins)

worriermum Tue 18-Sep-07 15:03:22

Ooo thanks Mrs B, off to try that. Otherwise will get out the wooden spoon and steel the arm muscles ...grin

EmilyDavidson Tue 18-Sep-07 15:03:47

You dont need a beater if the butter is soft , if its been in the fridge you can stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds ,then just use a big spoon to mix it up

worriermum Tue 18-Sep-07 15:06:26

Sorry Panda - just read to the end of your recipe and saw you had already advised the cake tin. thanks

Caroline1852 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:25:47

This is the easiest and best chocolate cake you will ever make.

8oz Butter
8oz granulated sugar
4 eggs
6oz self-raising flour
6 heaped tbsp cocoa (not drinking choc!)
400ml boiled water

Add cocoa to water and make into a smooth paste. Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat til smooth (you can do this with either a wooden spoon or an electric beater). Place in greased tins (x 2) and bake for about 30 mins (I use an Aga so am at a loss at to what temp - but would guess around 160 - 170).
You can dust it with cocoa and eat it as a plain choc cake or ice it with cocoa butter icing or best of all serve with hot choc sauce
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp sugar
2oz butter
melt then add cream or milk to thin
Pour over choc cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now