Talk

Advanced search

Bakes that are fairly simple but look impressive

(9 Posts)
FairfaxAikman Mon 11-May-20 12:25:53

@Pikachupoops I made a slightly more complex version for DSs 2nd birthday cake. (Similar to the pic)

Had planned a fire engine cake but in lockdown it would have been too big as no party.

As it was we got about 14 slices out of it.

dementedpixie Mon 11-May-20 12:00:05

The shiny icing (ganache) is just double cream heated with a little sugar and then poured over chopped dark chocolate - mix until chocolate melts. Pour it over cake

Pikachupoops Mon 11-May-20 11:29:12

@FairfaxAikman oh my gosh, I love that! grin

These ideas are all fabulous! Please keep them coming cake

OP’s posts: |
FairfaxAikman Mon 11-May-20 11:22:22

* easy for beginners.

FairfaxAikman Mon 11-May-20 11:21:45

Pig in mud cakes are easy for veg - filled chocolate sponge, stick Kit Kat's round the edge, top with ganache and the fondant/marzipan pigs are not hard to model

Pikachupoops Mon 11-May-20 11:21:02

@QueenoftheAndals I would love to bake bread but must admit the prospect scares me a little blush

@dementedpixie that looks amazing. The chocolate is so shiny shock

dementedpixie Mon 11-May-20 11:17:23

I made one yesterday that mainly involved adding stuff to a bowl, mixing and then baking

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ultimate-chocolate-cake

Think it was linked to from mumsnet in the first place. I didnt put the coffee granules in (did add the water) and used lemon juice in milk for the buttermilk. I baked in 3 tins for a shorter time rather than just one so I didnt have to cut layers. Grated chocolate for the topping.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 11-May-20 11:13:26

Any form of bread that requires plaiting looks very impressive but is actually pretty easy!

Pikachupoops Mon 11-May-20 11:12:25

I'm a beginner baker but all the beginner bakes look fairly dull. Are there any recipes that are suitable for a beginner but look impressive?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in