Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

nigella express

(33 Posts)
vannah Tue 18-Sep-07 13:57:06

does anyone have it and is it any good? My library has yet to get a copy which could take forever, and i dont have a bookshop nearby to browse...

are the recipes really quick and easy? and short list of ingredients?
thanks

Scootergrrrl Tue 18-Sep-07 14:48:19

It is quite good - I bought it cos I really like her recipes but can't bear her stroking all the food and pouting...
There's different sections like breakfasts, party food, picnics, supper etc

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:21:03

I looked through it in Tesco's (they've got it on sale for £15 but it's £12.50 on Amazon). The recipes do look user friendly & I have most of her other books.

DD and I are watching the series. We like the recipes but have real girly bonding moments giggling and bitching about her mannerisms - why does she flap her hands about so much, bat her eyelashes, and make suggestive remarks (last night: 'I DO like a bit of impaling')?!

And how many of us go to the supermarket by taxi hmm?

Having said that, I've asked my mum for a copy for Christmas!

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:21:46

Oh, and she SMILES too much!

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:22:06

Do I sound jealous? hmm

claricebeansmum Tue 18-Sep-07 15:23:49

Impaling - we burst into hysterical childish giggles at that point too.

Nigella has turned into a parody of herself - it is quite sad really. Plus her teenage daughter so obviously did not want to be part of the filming - so why make her?

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:33:24

I know - did you notice how Nigella had a vice-like grip on her arm in the park footage? Whilst Emo son (DD says he wears very cool clothes) just skateboarded through life.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:35:11

It IS sad - I'm sure she wasn't so mannered in her early series. I liked her then - now I think she's becoming rather annoying - and perhaps lost touch with reality. Nice to have all that money and be able to swan into VVRouleaux to buy ribbons for party decs.

JackieNo Tue 18-Sep-07 15:35:35

Some of the recipes (but not all), are on the BBC website. We loled at 'impaling' toogrin.

MyEye Tue 18-Sep-07 15:35:40

Impaling made me choke too. I do get the feeling she's got an ideal viewer in mind -- and he's a very gay man.

I think this series has probably finished off her cookbooks for me. Can't believe I used to read them for pleasure. All seems so mannered now. The adjectival overload really grated last night... Nothing's ever fresh, it's 'grassily fresh'. Nothing's ever sweet, it's always lubriciously, creamily sweet'.

Having said that I quite liked the look of her marinaded lamb chops last night. But it was odd that she gave them such a bashing. I'd have thought you'd keep getting bone splinters everywhere.

Also those dinner parties she 'gives' look perfectly agonising.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:36:30

Still got the book on my Christmas list though blush.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:38:52

When she bashed the chops, DD commented, 'bit of a bunny boiler, isn't she' - especially with the permanent fixed SMILE.

And what was all that stuff about chestnut mushrooms?

Beginning to think the book might come off my list now. Also worried about the calorific content...

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:41:08

Was her Italian friend really a friend or just someone pulled off the street? It looked very staged and stilted. And she had a TERRIBLE accent when trying to speak Italian in the deli.

Oh dear, I'n knocking Nigella - and I did so want the book...

MyEye Tue 18-Sep-07 15:42:47

DH thought it was hilarious that one of her 'recipes' simply involved popping into the Italian deli ("Here you are Signora Saatchi, that'll be £450. Would have been £120 but I Saw You Coming"), and then decanting octopus salad into little bowls

I see there's no recipe for that meal on the BBC site.

Peachy Tue 18-Sep-07 15:45:56

pmsl at I Saw you coming- used to love that sketch! grin

Also have asked for my parents to buy me the book for christmas, loks good but I couldn't bear any mroe episodes after the first- actually I spent most of that looking away! Her life has no link to mine at all bar we both like food. Best leave it at that, I feel, and stick with the printed dream.

saythatagain Tue 18-Sep-07 15:50:01

Its in this latest series that I've (sadly) become rather bored with her. DH has always said she's a fraud and I've always poo-pooed him but it seems so staged; is it a real kitchen/friends etc? Sorry Nigella - I did love you once upon a time...promise!

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:02:37

When she was doing her latest 'dinner party for friends', DD said, "Mummy, when YOU have the girls round, what do YOU do?"

Both of us in chorus "Takeaway" grin.

vannah Tue 18-Sep-07 20:07:39

ok thanks everyone, I dont know anything about nigella herself, dont find her interesting, never bought her books before - scanned through they all looked like they required effort, stuck to nigel slater all these years. But always keen to gather some quick and easy recipes - and certainly not the nonsense sort you find in magazines with great photography and lousy actual recipe...

Skyler Tue 18-Sep-07 20:14:49

I am wincing and gringing through this TV series, but got the book on Amazon (£12.50) and I am half way through reading it and pleased I got it. I like her other books and like her recipes as she often says to use a food processor or some other short cut etc and they all come out nicely for me. There are lots of things I will try in there, although I have to agree that they are not the most healthy recipes ever, or the cheapest, but they are quick and easy, and sound and look delicious!

Skyler Tue 18-Sep-07 20:15:07

cringing not gringing.

Pruners Tue 18-Sep-07 20:21:33

Message withdrawn

tissy Tue 18-Sep-07 20:25:57

dh made some comment about her fat arse

I said, "I bet there are plenty of men who wouldn't kick her out of bed, especially if she had just cooked a meal"

dh didn't say anything else

think he fancies her fat arse!

Pruners Tue 18-Sep-07 20:30:48

Message withdrawn

flatmouse Tue 18-Sep-07 20:34:06

DH is finding her incredibly annoying- and i'm beginning to find the same. It is just so staged and at times ridiculous.

First week - eating a pork chop with just a fork???

This week- how many lamb chops each??? and where were the carbs? Most odd.

MyEye Thu 20-Sep-07 10:32:04

I made those chops last night (bashing judiciously so as not to end up with bone flakes throughout) and it was pretty nice.
However, it's a bit overkilly to put loads of chilli on good lamb. And I left out the olives too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now