Dried haricot beans

Dried flageolet beans

Pearl barley

Dried split peas

will they be a nice combination?

or any other suggestions...

TIA smile

earlgrey Tue 18-Sep-07 11:31:34

Oooh, yes, luna, I made soup last night. Punnet of cherry tomatoes, 5 sticks of celery, 3 onions and some garlic, with a bit of water. I should have added a stock cube, but didn't have any so just seasoned with black pepper and a tiny bit of salt.

Added cannelini beans after dd2 had been served hers. Good luck! Sounds lovely. x

oxocube Tue 18-Sep-07 11:35:47

A very windy combination, I would say! TBH, I would go with just one of the pulses - I esp love split peas. Remember they need to be soaked (for at least 2 hours I think, then boiled for 30 mins before using - someone may correct me here but that's what I do) I would go with the split peas, onions or leeks, some carrots, veg stock, a little potato to thicken and perhaps some bacon fried and crumbled on the top before serving. Thicker pieces of bacon or gammon are also nice in the soup itself and give a lovely flavour (watch the salt though!)

Enjoy smile

Furball Tue 18-Sep-07 11:49:08

next time buy tinned pulses, then you can just 'chuck em in' rather than having to extra pre plan by soaking and pre cooking etc.

oxocube Tue 18-Sep-07 11:55:17

Agree, Furball. Thats what I usually do. Tinned chick peas and tinned toms, stock, garlic make another good soup base, then chuck in bits and bobs from the fridge/larder.

Yours will still be lovely lulu, just it'll take a lot longer!

justjules Tue 18-Sep-07 11:55:56

lulumama,

if you can buy yourself the covent garden soup cook book, it is great and has loads of tasty ideas,

i have had mine for a few years now and i am still working my way through it,

i have bought it as a present for people and they all loved it too, it is about £12 i think, well worth it smile

get the one with the green cover (the orignal one) if you can, i have the one with the red cover also but the original one is better imo,

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 12:08:35

thank you !!!

smile
some lovely ideas there

i shall call it 'windy soup' grin

oxocube Tue 18-Sep-07 12:27:45

justjules, I've just placed an order for that book on your recommendation! Five quid 'in used but excellent condition' plus p&p. Thanks smile

MamaG Tue 18-Sep-07 12:28:44

oh lulu <boak>

I HATE beans and split peas <shudder>

I'm a crap vegetarian grin

justjules Tue 18-Sep-07 12:34:44

oxocube smile

you will love it...

one of my faves is 'russian veg' soup (page 13) with white cabbage and parsnip,

now that is 'windy' soup grin

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 12:58:08

can i add chicken to it? shred it finely and poach it in the soup or cook if first?

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 13:24:14

chicken? poach? anyone? anyone?

Twiglett Tue 18-Sep-07 13:28:41

'ello ferris grin

you makin' farty soup then?

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 13:29:26

<<oooooh !! twig gets me ! grin..>>

t'would appear to be farty soup... but the CHICKEN !! please tell me what to do !

oxocube Tue 18-Sep-07 17:08:38

shred/chop finely and add RAW to soup. Should only take a few minutes to cook smile

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 17:11:42

thanks !! but soup is eaten now, sans chicken, i have frozen half, so will add chicken to that half when i defrost and reheat.

smile

bigmouthstrikesagain Tue 18-Sep-07 17:13:09

oooh good luck with the beany soup lulumama

I have just popped my own windy stew on the slowcooker

Butternut squash/ red onion/ leeks/ celariac/ carrot/ red lentils/ stock and marmite (and some fresh parsley.

DH should be powering himself to work tommorrow grin

lulumama Tue 18-Sep-07 17:13:56

that sounds delish, bigmouth

bigmouthstrikesagain Tue 18-Sep-07 17:15:09

thanks lentils are the speciality of the bigmouth housegrin

oxocube Sat 22-Sep-07 13:02:03

justjules, my book arrived yesterday! Can't wait to try some of the recipes - they sound delicious. Thanks for the recommendation

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: