Talk

Advanced search

I need to use up eggs

(26 Posts)
Dilbertian Thu 07-May-20 17:04:21

It would be good if I could use up a dozen eggs for supper tonight, but the only thing I can think of to make that all would eat is scrambled. Booooooring.

Souffle - 2/5 will eat (besides, the eggs are getting old, so they won't hold their volume well).
Shakshukka - 3/5 will eat.
Pancakes - they make eggs go further, not use them up.
Hard boiled - 3/5 will eat.
Soft boiled - they come out hard boiled.
Fried - 4/5 will eat, but they've been eating fried eggs already, so: boooooring.

What else? Inspire me!

Mouseylu Thu 07-May-20 17:06:26

Omelettes with or without extras

Lalallama Thu 07-May-20 17:10:28

I was going to suggest tortilla.

Or you could probably sell them on the street for twice what you bought them for, I don't seem to be able to find eggs anywhere at the minute. grin

ThePlantsitter Thu 07-May-20 17:12:21

eggy bread! If you have bread obvs.

maxelly Thu 07-May-20 17:13:05

Spaghetti carbonara (with or without bacon if you are veggie) - make it the classic italian way with no cream for maximum egginess?

Then maybe something with an egg custard or eggie bread or bread and butter pudding for afters?

mynameiscalypso Thu 07-May-20 17:14:12

Brownies? You might need something savoury first but that will use up at least 4!

Dilbertian Thu 07-May-20 17:50:47

We've only got wholemeal, and eggy bread has to be white. It's The Rules, you know.

But I could make a baked custard for pudding, good idea.

Dilbertian Thu 07-May-20 17:51:46

And tortilla. Yes, get those potatoes in the pan!

MN comes up trumps again smile

peachypetite Thu 07-May-20 17:52:01

Huevos rancheros www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-huevos-rancheros

Iamthewombat Thu 07-May-20 17:53:55

7 replies and nobody has told you off for panic buying. What is this site coming to?

(I’d do Spanish omelette but for that egg quantity you’d need 2 pans. Finish off under the grill).

Dilbertian Thu 07-May-20 17:53:59

Huevos rancheros = shakshuka

In other words, delicious but my philistines won't eat it.

MrsJoshNavidi Thu 07-May-20 17:55:55

Eggs bread. Or cake. Or chilli eggs: hard boil them. Score them down to the yoke and sit them in a hot chilli sauce for a few hours.

ElectricTonight Thu 07-May-20 17:58:23

Omelettes or make some quiches !

handbagsatdawn33 Thu 07-May-20 17:58:39

Do you really need to use them all?
Eggs keep well beyond the use by date - they won't suddenly go off at midnight.

ElectricTonight Thu 07-May-20 17:59:31

Or freeze them?

user1495884620 Thu 07-May-20 18:04:23

Eggs will last long past the sell by date. And you are not being unreasonable...eggy bread has to be white.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 07-May-20 18:09:54

I'd do Spanish omelette too, I use 9 eggs for 4 (well actually for 3 but it leaves leftovers for 1) and would happily just bung extra potatoes and 3 more eggs in my biggest frying for 5.

I've got >20 eggs atm, made a 7 egg omelette for 2 of us for lunch yesterday and would do Spanish omelette for tea this evening but my eldest isn't that keen and I made one last week. Need to keep using them as the hens keep laying 😋.

Hannah021 Thu 07-May-20 18:10:32

r u hoarding eggs?
They do last a very long time for me, months in the fridge

Try Shakshooka (SP?), it's really yummy, tried it for the first time on the first week of lockdown, loved it

viques Thu 07-May-20 18:11:00

Probably too late, I expect you have decided already, but coincidentally the guardian online has got a 17 things to do with eggs article today. I fancy the lemon pie from the river cookbook, though to be honest it sounds like lemon curd on a posh pastry base.

I don't think they mentioned lemon curd, nice thing to make if you have lemons, then you could make a Victoria sponge tomorrow and fill it with he lemon curd, it would almost be healthy.

bookworm14 Thu 07-May-20 18:12:12

Frittata? That uses loads of eggs.

wowfudge Thu 07-May-20 18:13:03

They last for ages, especially if they're in the fridge. You can freeze them too - line a muffin/bun tin with cling film and crack an egg into each hole. Freeze overnight then wrap the cling film over the top, pop out of the tin and store in a bag or container. Use once defrosted.

FawnDrench Thu 07-May-20 18:35:43

Yorkshire pudding - and you can freeze some of the eggs.

Graphista Thu 07-May-20 19:03:43

I had a similar problem but the frugal foodies thread has been really helpful with such issues.

My ideas:

Do some baking - I’ve made fairy cakes and banana loaf today that was 4 eggs used

Toad in the hole - batter uses a few eggs depending how many you’re cooking for

Savoury bread and butter dishes - several recipes for this available online, admittedly I’ve not tried one yet but I’m told they’re yummy. May well be cooking one myself tonight based on this recipe:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cherry-tomato-ham-bread-butter-bake

The following freeze well so if not everyone fancies you can portion and freeze for future use:

Frittata
Quiche

You can freeze eggs too - crack, whisk and pop into freezer bag apparently. I’ve not tried this yet as my freezer is chock full

PerkingFaintly Thu 07-May-20 19:08:00

Oh thank god! People who call eggy bread, eggy bread! I thought I was the last person left in the country who did this.

<as you were>

Mojitomogul Thu 07-May-20 19:09:35

Simple pancakes - mash together one banana, 2 eggs and a spoonful of self raising flour. Makes enough for one massive pancake for one person for a nice brunch. Pour into a hot pan with sizzling butter and then when the top bubbles its ready to flip.
Double or triple the quantities for more people. So good with nutella or almond butter and strawberries on top. Or savoury with streaky bacon and maple syrup.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »